*NO* NiGHTS into dreams... 'In the Nights'

djpretzel

So, a while back I was thinking about the troubles of the world and concluded: "The only thing that's missing from everyone's lives is a pop-punk cover of that annoying, bouncy J-pop song from the end of 'NiGHTS Into Dreams.'" Two months and three mixes later, I had a version that sounded less crappy than the others (and handily better than the original, which was sung by a Peabo Bryson imitator and his retarded cousin).

By that time, I had naturally realized that my thinking was wrong, and what everyone really needs is that swing version of Gruntilda's Theme from "Banjo-Kazooie" that I promised in the review thread from my first OC remix, but it was too late. The NiGHTS thing was recorded, and at least this time I'm virtually assured that no one will complain about my mop buckets being out of synch.

thanks,

ch

The drums ain't so hot, and the guitar is pretty rough but at least has the energy up there. The musicians on the panel can dissect that more if they want to.

The vocals are pretty poorly recorded, and I'm guessing there wasn't any post-production work put into it. Yeah, these vocals are pretty untrained. Raw and so forth, if you're down with that, but no thanks I've gotta say.

I don't like how much the instrumentation took a backseat to the vocals when they came in. The contrast in levels for both music & vocals didn't have to be so great.

The presentation is too unpolished, and for that to not dip it down to NO, the rearrangement and overall execution would have to be way up there. Definitely not the case here. In any case, I don't see why we need a NiGHTS cover that doesn't particularly expand on the original. No dice, Chris.

NO

Vocals are really terrible man. I think Larry's usage of the word 'untrained' sums it up, though even that may be an understatement.

Balance between the elements is pretty bad too. The original piece is so strong harmonically in the way everything fits together; in your piece, I don't feel any kind of emotional response at specific hit points in the song. Very weak and lifeless overall.

Guitar is too quiet and doesn't mesh with the drums or vocals; drums have timing issues too.

Overall a pretty poor execution. Sorry man. NO