*NO* Gabriel Knight 3 'Walk of Life'

djpretzel

http://www.students.tut.fi/~judine/gk3/Emilio's%20Theme.mp3 - Emilio's Theme

The Gabriel Knight 3 soundtrack is actually pretty damn sweet. Other remixers should seriously consider checking it out.

A mere 1:41 generally doesn't cut it here, as songs of that length, like this one, are generally underdeveloped.

This kicks in pretty fast, but it's just a cover of the source tune (the actual melody in the source tune itself gets going at :58). It's tranposed from winds to guitar, and sounds absolutely great here, but we don't do simple covers.

Please rearrange this by adding your own ideas beyond simply changing the instrumentation and go for a much lengthier arrangement.

NO

Arrangement is minimal, and yes it is underdeveloped, but there is some level of arrangement here. New rhythms and the harmony is altered. There are a number of subtle changes. The entire feel is different enough also. This reminds me of the Brad Secret of Mana mix issue; while conservative it had a lot of minor additions, subtlety where the feel was changed to an extent. I don't feel that is done anywhere as well here, but it definitely moves it into an arrangement category for me.

Obviously there are problems here. The main one is conservative arrangement. I would expand the guitar and background work. Certainly lengthening works, but the issue here isn't really that it's too short, but more can be done with it. Another main gripe I have is the lead. It sounds so twangy, harsh and loud in relation to everything else.

I do like the vibe, and the production is definitely passable in my opinion.

Needs more work in various areas of composition. Let the vote continue. I think our guitar players on the panel, Vig and Israfel might be able to shed helpful light for this mixer.

NO

i'll take that as my cue to enter...

unfortunate, this is.

i'm afraid there isn't much in the way of suggestion to be given here because something tells me (and i'm usually right about my gut senses) that the artist intended this to be exactly as it is - short, unadventursome and simple. it achieves those things admirably... for being short and conservative, this works as easy listening and sets the mood almost instantly. i've had this on loop for the past 10 minutes. yes, i'm enjoying myself... but good gollyness, i can only imagine what else can be done with this

that change at 1:36, just as this is ending is such a tease - you are almost relegated to bastard mode because of it. there just simply aren't any fresh ideas past porting this beautiful (i know its been mentioned already several times but i'm going to play echo... Gabriel knight music is amazing and neeeeeeds attention. badly) piece to the guitar and likewise changing what was necessary to achieve that and not much more.

the performance is flawless and the tone of the acoustic guitar matches the soft synth pads so well that i'm heartbroken listening to this.

i'm sorry but this just isn't long enough, just isn't creative enough

and somethin tells me that we aren't going to get a resubmit on this one because i think this may have very well been the intention all along.

NO and i hate/love you.

Short version: Needs more.

Long version: Needs a lot more.

But seriously, this is way too short and much too underdeveloped. It clocks in at 1:41, and even then, there's about 25 seconds of actual nonrepeating material. Variation in your instrumentation would be nice to hear; what you have sounds good, but it's certainly not enough. I'd like to hear some highs and lows in the arrangement as I feel that this one doesn't go anywhere, it simply is. Sometimes simply being is a good thing, but not in this case. Comes off a bit boring.

Develop!

NO