*NO* Super Mario 64 'King of the Koopas'

OceansAndrew

Starts out pretty damn strong, with a good sound balance, tone, and rhythm tone. Loving the heavy vibrato on the pinch harmonics, but once the leads come in, they seem a little buried in the mix. The arrangement is pretty solid, and the drum programming is varied and interesting, with a lot of brutal double bass work and good fills.

There was a bit of copy-paste going on, but there were enough unique sections to make the overall song interesting and cool. I was hoping for a flashy solo, but it still worked out pretty well. I think some additional variation would have helped as well in making this more compelling, as there are some straight up repeats of sections with no changes. Even something as simple as adding some guitar counter melodies to second-time-through sections would be an improvement, and easy to do.

Overall though, I think that the variety of sections keeps this interesting enough for me to give it a pass; good luck with the other judges. :-)

Yes (conditional on improvement)

• 2 weeks later...

The overall sound for this is pretty awesome. Koopa is seriously ready to kick some ass with this music. My biggest issue is the copy and paste that has been done in a few sections. Like Andrew said, there are other sections and enough variation to get this over the bar, but it's pretty disappointing that there are those sections reused verbatim when so many awesome things could have been done. I hope that in the future you will rally make a unique arrangement throughout.

This is going to have to be re-encoded at a higher bit-rate to pass as well, which will hopefully improve some of the sounds overall.

YES (somewhat borderline)(conditional on bit-rate)

Ugh 96kbps. It's pretty rare to get a submission this good at that bitrate. It noticeably decreases the quality of the high end, and usually people who can make a song this good know better. :smile: That needs to be fixed if this gets accepted. I think the balance also sounds skewed to the low end, but hard to tell at this bitrate.

Loving the treatment here, the martial drumming and chugging suits this song very well. The last half minute of this is excellent, fantastic energy. But I was disappointed at the copy/paste in the middle and to a lesser extent how straight the melodies were played. Some little melodic flourishes would have been perfect for solving both those problems.

It's a close call, but the level of repetition makes me think it needs some more work.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Man this is badass! But the cymbals sound like shit....oh it's 96kbps. Dude, it's not even 4 minutes! Reencode this bad boy at 192kbps then we'll talk.

No way in hell should we be accepting such a degraded encode. On the bright side, it sounds like the arrangement is pretty sick, so I look forward to actually hearing what you did.

NO (resub)

• 4 months later...