*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Calling Storms'

OceansAndrew

Remixer Name: Hex Monkey

Email: rainshock@hotmail.com

User ID: 23979

Game Arranged: Zelda- Ocarina of Time

Songs Arranged: Song of Storms/Windmill Hut

Remix Title: Calling Storms

Hex Monkey here. Long-time shadow lurker, first time submitter. My idea behind this remix was to make it sound more exotic and new age, like a backdrop during a rain dance.

source

The samples are a little weak, especially that panflute, which sounds pretty lifeless. When the backing strings are brought further forward, there's a lot of frequencies being stepped on in the mid highs, though once the guitars come in, the feel is much improved, especially when the flute gets some life.

Beyond that, the arrangement seems pretty short, and though there is a decent amount of interpretation, it doesn't feel expanded enough. I'd suggest adding a little more to the length, and cleaning up those strings sepcifically with some EQ. I am pretty on the fence about this one, but it has some very strong promise, and just needs a little polish to make it over.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I like this treatment a lot. The dynamics and the atmospheric background writing are great and the section with the fifths adds a layer to this I've never heard done. Though it was short, what was there was really well done.

But production was the downfall here. OA's first comment hits the mark: there's not nearly enough subtlety in the sequencing of the ocarina. Compared to the beautiful flute that concludes the song, I was left wondering why the sequencing wasn't that intricate throughout. There's also a problem with the mixing, starting at 1:07, possibly an overcompression problem. There is some range where you've got too many frequencies competing and as a result everything is cramped down.

A very good start, but there issues are holding it back.

NO (resubmit)

When the song started, I honestly wasn't that impressed with where you were going with it by having the pan flute play the original melody pretty much verbatim, but I quickly changed my mind as you started introducing new instruments and the arrangement really got underway. I really like the overall arrangement, and although it could be expanded further, I don't necessarily thing it is too short.

Production is the key to this one, and right now it's falling short. As both gentlemen mentioned, the pan flute really needs some work to give it life, like what you hear out of the flute at the end. Otherwise, the overall song feels somewhat overcrowded. I'd love to hear you relook at this to make things clearer.

This is a pretty good first submission, please look it over and send it back our way! NO (resubmit, please)

Too much reverb to start, and the rain is gimmicky. Flute is mechanical and fakey, needs more humanization. Everything sort of gets messy in the high frequencies; you need to balance your instruments better.

Great ideas when the percussion drops, but this is still lacking in a strong bass element, and there's just this wall of sound coming from the strings. You need to back off on the strings and let your instruments work together, rather than fight for attention.

NO, resub