*NO* EarthBound 'Twoson's Two Lawns'

djpretzel

Email sub file Eiko - Twosons Two Lawns.mp3 - djp

I have been trying to remix music for a really long time now and just recently had a few more courses in music theory and now am able really understand how to make songs, so in the remixing sense I am new. I would like to submit this song from Earthbound. It's the "Twoson Theme" and I have now have come up with a name that fits the jazz style and thats "Twoson's Two Lawns".

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/mo2.rsn - "Boy Meets Girl (Twoson)" (mo2-046.spc)

The piano velocities sounded pretty mechanical, and the wind lead was very inhuman-sounding. You sure Eccles didn't rip this? And, yeah, that was a serious question.

Not too jarring but there was a strange and abrupt tempo change at 1:10 as things slowed down and the instruments suddenly changed. Whatever's handling bass is poorly used as well. BUM BUM BUM BUM over and over again. Can't really offer anything too constructive on stuff so fundamentally flawed.

Too conservative of an arrangement for me as well; work a bit more with the source to see what directions it can be taken in. It's not the holy grail for getting posted mind you, but head over to the ReMixing forum and learn how to at least get better results out of cruddy samples in the future. For this one though, scrap it and start something new.

NO

EDIT: So I sorted the SPC pack by title and sandwiched this mix between "Boy Meets Girl" & "Burp". I've gotta admit, "Burp" tacked onto this would have really enhanced the ending, no lie.

Very much lacking some arrangement, production and execution work here.

I suggest spicing things up arrangement wise with some melodic, harmonic or rhythmic expansion. Change things up some more, how about changing up the form, structure, anything? Play with the theme more. And don't quantize your mix.

I hope you keep at it, you show promise. Best remedy is practice, practice, practice. Better luck next time.

NO.

The mix here features the flute quite prominently, however the sample isn't quite up to the task. There's a distracting amount of vibrato, and things become shrill when you try to write 2-part flute harmonies. When writing electronic music(particularly when you're limited to free samples) you have to write with specific samples in mind, taking into account their strengths and weaknesses. While the music as written might sound perfectly fine if it were played by a real flute, it simply doesn't work with the sample you have.

When the bass comes in at around 1:11, the texture begins to get a bit muddy. Particularly at passages like at 1:29, the bass notes aren't very distinct. Perhaps the whole piece could be transposed up to avoid this. A more interesting and melodic bassline would likely help as well.

Also, given how exposed the flute is, you really need to spend some time with humanization. For instance, dynamic contrast is severely lacking with the mix.

NO