Your real name: Brandon E. Strader, Daniel Lippert

Your email address: oinkness@gmail.com

Your website: http://brandon.rainwound.com/

Your userid: 3123

Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country 3

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Dixie Beat

PROJECT TRACK -- DKC 3: The Album, by Emunator

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIN0FikcicI

No need for source breakdown, fairly straightforward mix.

This is another one of those songs I revised over 9000 times. Emunator is a slave driver, and when confronted with this fact, he laughed. It's like that scene from the beginning of Blazing Saddles. Anyway, what can I really say about this song? I revised it so many times that I hate it and just want it to be over with. Usa is on the drums, I think he did a fantastic job. He also mastered my WAV. The title is inspired by The Beatles, since the progression in Dixie Beat is very similar to their song "Let It Be". It might speed up into a "punk" section but it's still generally the progression from Dixie Beat. The original demo was better, and had a great live sound. This.... this.. this is revised into studio magic hell! It's TOO refined. And that makes me sad.

-------------------------

The soundscape of the intro vs. the main song seems kindof off. Feels like the intro, regardless of how cool, was stapled onto the song.

Production was decent, though the compressor is working pretty damn hard; you should tone that down a bit. The sound was still decently clear, but the RMS was way high. Minor adjustment really. The arrangement itself is cute, and is probably just different enough to clear the bar.

I wish it had been more than just a genre shift, but it works well enough. Fix that compression and i'm ok with this.

yes (Conditional)

Very beachy, this is. I think this is a natural style change, and it's performed pretty well. I agree with Andrew that it would have been nice if there was a little more arrangement of the source themes, but this does get the job done in the end. The intro does feel a bit random compared to the rest of the mix, but honestly, so does the intro of the original, so I can't exactly fault it. Still might be more cohesive as a track without it, though.

The compression didn't bother me as much as it did to Andrew, but it wouldn't hurt to get it fixed up. Despite that, I am ok with passing it as is, although it's a bit borderline in terms of arrangement.

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly half of this mix is just the guitars gliding up and down around the chord progression. When the melody finally makes an appearance, it's diatonically offset by a third or something, which I guess is fine, but it would have been nice to hear the actual melody.

Performances are good but I think you need to look at the production on this and maybe bring it down a bit.

NO, resub

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry that you don't feel happy with how this turned out, Brandon. Some might be wondering why you submitted a song you weren't happy with, but I understand the impulse to just get the finished product out there, even it's morphed from what you intended. For the record, I enjoyed it.

But as far as accepting it, I have to side with Shariq. By only using the chords for so much of this, the connection isn't very strong. It's not the most distinctive chord progression. I liked the variations on the melody, and there were a couple twists there, it wasn't straight playing. I wish there had been more of that, it was only there about a minute and a half. The intro and outro seemed out of place even though they are a riff on the original. Finally, the song is too loud, it needs to come down.

It adds up to a resubmit for me. The source usage is the biggest issue, and that would make this a borderline call. The other issues push this to a NO.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

The intro is really excessive. Cool take on the source once it actually hits, but the preceding stuff is way too loosely connected. Also, I get that the source is disjointed like that, but that's no excuse for the intro and ending of this being disjointed too.

And yeah, this is pretty hot. I didn't really feel that this suffered too much from it, but I'd welcome improvement.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...