*NO* Mega Man Battle Network 3 'Virus Deleted'

OceansAndrew

Contact info:

Remixer name is Jabond23.

Real name is Joe Nichols.

Email address is jabond213@gmail.com

Website is

UserID is 25151

I remixed the N1 Grand Prix battle theme from Mega Man Battle Network 3 for the gameboy advace. I really enjoy the theme by itself and i've noticed that there aren't too many Battle Network remixes on OCR right now. Its got a great battle sound to it and i figured it would make a good hard rock remix. I spent a lot of time trying to get the production/mixing down and i'm hoping that it sounds good.

Thank you for taking a listen to it for me,

Joe (NintenJoe 64)

source:

Really liking where you took this source. There's plenty of good things done here, and while I would have liked a little more interpretation on the source melody itself, I think this one is still an easy decision. Production sounds pretty good, as well, it's obvious you spent time tweaking things just right. I am ready to race!

YES

Besides the way over compressed snare, this is pretty damn solid. Excellent guitar performance, and some good blend of synths. It's rocking, it's creative, and varied, and though the ending isn't mind-blowing, the overall package is pretty damn strong.

A few nitpicks in the production (besides that snare) are the kick could have a little bit more beater added for some additional clarity, and there is some mid-low mud, but it's overlookable when my face is being rocked off this hard.

Definitely room to improve, but this is over the bar, in my estimation.

Yes

• 2 months later...

This is a big step up from previous stuff you have submitted, Joe. I thought the mix of synths and guitars was well-done and sounded pretty interesting, production was mostly there. The snare is definitely a weak spot, it never delivers the power it should. Sections like 1:23 got kind of cluttered as well. Possibly the weakest thing about this arrangement was the B-section (1:11-1:23 and in a couple more places) - harmonically this section always sounded very awkward to me.

I can see why this would get passed but these issues put this at about 90% for me, I can't fully enjoy it. The best parts are working (the verses), but other parts are holding this back.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 months later...

Arrangement's a bit on the conservative side, but some nice rockin' and flourishes. I'm hearing the harmonic clashing in the section Palp pointed out. The final section in particular, 3:23–3:35, sounds really bad.

The production's okay, with the snare being an obvious weak point. I thought the balancing was a little off overall, like at 0:47 where the lead guitar is a little overshadowed by the accompaniment. Definitely not bad at all by any means, but it doesn't stand out as much as the synth leads do. There's also some cluttering in the busier sections.

Good start, but my main sticking point is the harmonic stuff, because again that's not working at all.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice track here man. Really dig how you kept the high energy of the original here. It is on the conservative side, but you've brought some variations to the theme as well as the original soloing.

Right off the bat, that snare sounds super overcompressed, yet thin at the same time. Back off the compressor on that, and see if you can give it some more presence through a little bit of distortion or something.

Lead guitar intonation sounded a bit off to me, specifically on the melody at :48 and at 3:13. Speaking of 3:13, this definitely felt like the weakest part of the mix. The timing of the guitar is loose and it just doesn't mesh with the other elements at 3:24. Not a strong way to finish the track IMO.

Super tough call. I can definitely see it going either way here. Personally, as a mixer, I'd rather have something like this sent back, so I can make some changes, than to have it posted with fixable flaws. Hopefully you can get this one back to us soon.

No, resub please

really liked the opening texture. the arrangement, while conservative, had some great personalization and never too repetitive. nice melodic expansion and soloing too. production wise, the lower end gets muddy when everything kicks in, and I wasn't loving the choir sample at the beginning. the guitar performances were great but as others have mentioned the intonation is a little off at points, and I agree with the comments on the snare being overcompressed yet thin. was digging the drum sequencing though.

overall this is close but I think minor production flaws as well as intonation problems are holding this back. I highly encourage a resubmit. :)

NO(resub)

Not digging these snare shots at all. They had too much snap, and were positioned too far upfront, so they took a lot of focus away from the leads and didn't mesh with the soundscape. Plus, the velocities sounded near-identical on every hit. The string articulations weren't good either, but weren't fully exposed. The guitar wank support part that came in at :47 behind the lead guitar was too loud and was competing to be heard with the melody and drums. The levels on the parts were too similar, again making it difficult to focus on the leads.

The vox at 1:00 sounded flat. Really weird synth and string writing combination at 1:11, 2:59 & 3:23; the parts clashed a bit and didn't sound like they were in the same key. Deia and OA shouldn't have let that slide, it's just screwed up. Things got more on track going back to the verses at 1:35. 1:59's section was OK, but the textures were getting repetitive. Lots of good soloing wank at 2:23, but the drum pattern just being the same looped stuff with the same realism issues was a bit on the lazy side.

I thought this had potential too, but wasn't even feeling it as much as the others. The textures and arrangement ideas were pretty repetitive; half the song could have been cut and it would have said essentially the same thing. Coupled with the weird writing/clashing issues and unbalanced levels, this would need significant TLC to pass. That said, I remember when your stuff was complete brutality, Joe, so keep at it. You've obviously been improving.

NO