Sonic 3 & Knuckles OST sounds amazing on an NES tracker

justinj212

Saw this on twitter yesterday, and I thought I'd share. Link is to the youtube vid, which has links to download the mp3:

Daniel (aka 8bitDanooct1) recreated the entire Sonic 3 & Knuckles OST using an NES tracker. I'm not an authority on NES trackers, but from what I can gather it looks as though he's using six channels (two sets of the regular three NES sound channels) to create a stereo effect and give himself some more flexibility in his NES interpretation of the S3&K OST. Great stuff.

If anyone has any questions for Daniel, he'll appear on Radio Free Gamer tonight at 7PM Eastern to discuss the album. You can listen and chat here if you're interested, or leave a question on this thread if you can't listen live.

Not familiar with the source... but still impressive, given how tough it is to transcribe to NSF in a way that still carries the original instruments. Even with the VRC6 addition, it's quite the feat.

Famitracker's a great tool if you prefer a more visual style of NSF creation. While the MML->NSF toolkit is much more complicated, it's also much more powerful and fine-tunable, in my opinion. But we're not here to argue that, are we? ;)

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Np guys. I was surprised when nobody brought this up. Guess my constant lurking on Reddit and Twitter paid off.

The thing that was most shocking to me after finding this vid was going back and listening to the source. The mob of composers on S3 and S3&K did an amazing job. Props especially to Michael Jackson. Even if he wasn't satisfied with the fidelity of chip music, it really was the perfect medium for his melodic pop. The details of his involvement in S3 are murky, but one can only wonder if things had happened differently, would he have gone on to make some of the best VGM of the time?

Np guys. I was surprised when nobody brought this up. Guess my constant lurking on Reddit and Twitter paid off.

The thing that was most shocking to me after finding this vid was going back and listening to the source. The mob of composers on S3 and S3&K did an amazing job. Props especially to Michael Jackson. Even if he wasn't satisfied with the fidelity of chip music, it really was the perfect medium for his melodic pop. The details of his involvement in S3 are murky, but one can only wonder if things had happened differently, would he have gone on to make some of the best VGM of the time?

i've been listening to this all day.

a fine release indeed.

i find it hilarious that you would take this opportunity to slip in the old and highly dubious propaganda about MJ and sonic 3.