Could Anyone Help Me Make a Remix?

Hawke

Hi,

I'm Hawke, and I'm brand new here. I've downloaded a few OCRemix things in the past, and heard a lot of good things about the community. Now, I've had an idea, but I don't have the skill nor means to pull off the idea. That's where you come in.

I heard this song recently; Army Of Two, by Umek

Not my usual cup of tea, but something caught me ear. Listen to this piece of pure awesome by Sufjan Stevens, Vesuvius:

I know it's not absolutely perfect, but they're pretty damn similar, and I'd love a remix of them whereby Sufjan's lyrics are placed over Umek's song. Take liberties with it - maybe you'll speed up his voice or slow it down, focus solely on the chorus or use some versus, etc., but if quite a few of you guys do it there'll be a nice spread. Shove a bit more bass in there too - it sounds a bit flat =P

Yeah - if any of you can help me out with that, it would be awesome. Thanks! :)!!

The best thing for you to do is to learn music theory. I may be of assistance. Regardless of how I help you out, your success and drive to mix mostly relies on you.

I'm not much of a mixer - In fact, I'm no mixer at all. I just had an ear for this, and thought someone who enjoys making mixes might wanna help a brother out. But this will certainly get me a bit more interested.

...and here I was expecting a Dragon Age question!

The best suggestion I'd have for you is to download the demo of FL Studio and get tinkering.

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/download.html

Not everyone around OCR played piano as a kid or is trained in musical theory. Some of us (like me) didn't get into music until high school or even later.

As Salluz said it's about the drive. If you really want to make this happen you need to take the first steps yourself. There's plenty of helpful people here that won't mind guiding you in the right direction with your music. :)!

...and here I was expecting a Dragon Age question!

The best suggestion I'd have for you is to download the demo of FL Studio and get tinkering.

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/download.html

Not everyone around OCR played piano as a kid or is trained in musical theory. Some of us (like me) didn't get into music until high school or even later.

As Salluz said it's about the drive. If you really want to make this happen you need to take the first steps yourself. There's plenty of helpful people here that won't mind guiding you in the right direction with your music. :)!

This is some golden advice right here, Hawke.

I only started remixing about a year ago and before that I have no formal musical experience. Don't know how to play piano or anything. But I've gotten decent enough to attempt a remix of Dire, Dire Docks and learned a great amount about music just by experimenting and listening to other peoples work here. Check the thread in my signature and you can see my progress through the song!

I may not know the correct terminology for a musical technique but I do know how to use it if you explained it to me.

So my additional advice to you is to just play around with FL Studio; try re-making a song verbatim and slowly making changes here and there (like with chords, dynamics, temp, etc)

Before you know it, you'll be the greatest remixer of all time! :wink: