*NO* Donkey Kong Land 'Don't Touch My Na-Nas'

DragonAvenger

Hello to the team at Overclocked Remix!

My name is Josh, and this will be my first submission to your kick ass site.

I've done my best to adhere to your Submission Standards and Instructions guide. Fingers crossed I get this right :P

The following is my attempt at remixing Donkey Kong Land's Bad Boss Boogie. I have titled my arrangement 'Don't Touch My Na-Nas'

The ~192kbps mp3 is available here:

It can also be listened to and downloaded via soundcloud

And Youtube:

Contact Information:

Remixer Name: KoeN

Email Address: jkoen@csu.edu.au

User ID: 40244

Submission Information:

Name of game arranged: Donkey Kong Land

Name of track arranged: Bad Boss Boogie

Additional Information: Composed by Graeme Norgate for the Nintendo Gameboy version of Donkey Kong Land

Link to the Original Soundtrack:

My Comments:

The forthcoming Nintendo Wii Donkey Kong title had me reminiscing about some of my favourite classic Donkey Kong series compositions. This track has always really psyched me up in spite of the obvious restrictions of the Gameboy's sound capabilities.

As a kid I always envisioned DIRTIER, GRITTIER version of my favourite games; I guess I always dreamed of games growing WITH me as I got older (picture a Donkey Kong or Zelda title Co-Directed by Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez!)

This song is the soundtrack to that vision. It starts quite sombre, but its ending packs quite a punch; it would almost suit a cinematic preview of a new bad-ass Donkey Kong Film!

My workstation of choice in this instance was Ableton Live. The drums are recorded using my Yamaha DTXPLORER electronic drumkit and Toontracks' Superior Drummer. The bass is a combination of Trillian VST and my bass guitar, and the guitar itself is an old Yamaha Pacifica 6 string electric run through an instance of Native Instruments' Guitar Rig.

The remaining instrumentation was all pieced together using a midi keyboard and a variety of virtual instruments, most notably content from the Kontakt 4 library.

I hope you enjoy!

Please let me know if you require any further information!

Thanks

Josh

----------------------

Lot's of good things going on here. I like the adaption of the source, and the overall progression of the song. Source usage is easy to pick out, but not too coverish. Overall drumwork is pretty varied and compliments the music well.

I found that, especially towards the end, the background stuff started to get a bit muddy. Seemed like the rhythm guitars vs. backing synth caused there to be a bit too much going on in the same frequencies, and they were all vying for the same spot. The strings used at the beginning have a very mechanical attack that I'd like to see touched up. The snare sound wasn't really doing it for me. I'm not sure if it needed a different treatment or a better cut, but it just didn't quite match everything else to me. The bass could have used a touch more volume as well.

Most of the fixes are small, but I think they add up, and I also think they won't be too hard to fix up. I want to see this again.

NO (resubmit)

Great arrangement, but the production needs a little bit of adjustment.

The drums were well programmed, with some nice patterns and a natural feel, but the snare sounded a little bit off, and could stand to be thickened up a bit. It sounds a little cheapy as is. The intro sequencing was slightly stiff but worked well enough I think,, fixing it would help it a little overall though.

The guitars need a bit of eq trimming as well, though the transition with the rhythm guitars getting filtered in was SICK- totally loved that and really worked well. There was a ton of mud in the section, and for some reason, the cymbals on the left hand side near the end wear SEARING- definitely want to tweak the EQ and tone those down.. ouuuch. :-(

Overall a very strong arrangement and it's almost here, just needs some tweaks.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Yeeeeaaahhhh I'm just gonna echo what those joojes said. Overall this is pretty damn awesome, but it just needs a couple of EQ adjustments and some fixes to that cymbal stuff near the end; definitely some funky compression stuff happening on those crashes and open-hats.

Arrangement is awesome but I'm not feeling that ending. It's a stylistic choice though, so I'm not really faulting you for it. Love the synth stuff in the first half, and the guitars are pretty tight.

Needs a few fixes and we're good.

NO, resub plz