OCR02270 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Dark Shores of Hyrule'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: Jonah-B

Forum User ID: 38805

Name of Game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Name of original song: Title Theme

Name of my mix: Dark Shores of Hyrule

Comments:

This marks my first video game remix! I don't know what exactly made me choose this particular piece. I think it was the combination of beauty and simplicity in the original. Its such a relaxing song, which is right up my alley. Nothing like sitting in a dimly lit room and recording a nice relaxing song.

My version doesn't deviate a whole lot from the structure of the original. Its still a short and simple song. The main change is in the choice of instruments. Inspired by Steve Pordon's Mystic Forest mix (also on OcRemix), I decided to go with a soft acoustic guitar playing the chord progression and an opposing distorted electric guitar for the lead. I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

The primary choice of software for this piece (and most of my other compositions as well) was Sony Acid Pro for live recording and Reason with Rewire for just about everything else. The guitars were recorded with a Pod X3.

I hope everyone enjoys it!!

• 1 month later...

I am liking the atmospheric opening, and the acoustic and electric interplay is nice, especially when the electric lead goes on some inspired flights of fancy. The background is minimalistic, but still filled out, and the synths are very tasteful. There sounded like some very minor intonation issues when the track crescendos, but it's not a dealbreaker. What makes this a difficult vote is the fact that the piece is really short. Once I get to the point where I expect to hear some melodic interpretation, it ends, which was a little disappointing. as far as structure goes, the song works, but I think adding a little more to it woule be really nice. I'm good with the production aspects, but as for arrangement, a little more would be nice. I think expanding the song length slightly with some inspired expansion would put this way over for me.

No, please resubmit

I went back and forth on this mix for a while, and I feel like there's something it needs right now that I can't exactly put my finger on, although I don't think the length is the issue like OA is thinking as much as it is the fact that because it is so minimal, any issues are standing out as more then they normally would. There are a couple of times where I would have liked the source to be more prominent, and as I said, it sticks out more because there is so little else going on. Also, along with the bit of intonation, there are a couple times where the timing feels just slightly off.

Regardless, the use of the source and backing arpeggiated lines are nicely done, and the use of the style is very natural for this piece. Instrument choice works nicely, and the waves add some nice texture.

Still going back and forth on this, but maybe the next judge to vote can really help solidify my vote one way or another. For now, however:

YES (borderline)

• 1 month later...

Not an easy call. The arrangement started very conservatively and only started doing something different from the source at the one-minute mark. But the feel is a lot different, a lot more stark and dream-like and it feels very personalized on that front. Even though the mix was pretty simple and the playing wasn't dead-on, neither seemed to hurt the piece; it almost enhanced the concept. It was reminiscent of this mix in that way. The little background textures were good.

Negatives: Mixing could have been a little better, the acoustic guitar should have been quieter than the electric. There's also a couple flubs but nothing that wrecks the performance. Yeah, I'm inclined to go with Deia on this, but I could see why anyone would reject it.

YES

• 1 month later...

I agree with Palp on the mixing being a little unbalanced, but the quality was there, and I love the darker, moodier vibe you gave this. the first portion of the mix is definitely on the conservative side as the part-writing goes, but there were some great flourishes and variations in the second half. I enjoyed this a lot, and personally I don't think the issues add up to a NO, but it walks the line. wouldn't surprise me if other judges decide to turn this down.

YES

For as minimalistic as this track is, you've managed to bring a lot of emotion to it.

Vinnie is right on the balancing issues - lead should've been coming out a bit more than the acoustic backup. Despite that, it's a pleasant vibe you've got going here.

Definitely heard the intonation issues Andrew mentioned at 2:43. It detracts a bit from the buildup and resolution of the track, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Background sfx sounded more like someone blowing into their mic than waves to me but that's super nitpicky ;).

I do agree more ground could be covered here, arrangement wise, but what you've done here is very expressive and gets the job done.

Yes

The bitrate really should be higher, so I'll ask about it, but this was a nice personalized take here, much like Justus Johnston's Touhou Youyoumu: Perfect Cherry Blossom 'Icy Peaks.' Normally would have closed this up at 4Y/1N, but just wanted to check on it and see if any issues were worth looking at. I wish the lead sounded more smoothly performed, but that was just personal taste. The execution here was solid. Good deal here, Jonah, pretty expressive.

YES