FF1 Battle Scene Remix

eilios

Here you all go!

The original is found in this very URL.

This is a very early version of my remix of probably my favourite battle theme of all time - the original FF1 battle's remix. It's pretty delicious, so I thought I'd try to remix it. I'm still working on this, and this is a pretty early stage, but if I can work with a solid foundation I'm sure the finished version will be great.

This is a trance-ish version of the remix, and is kinda slow but steady. I hope you all enjoy it, and if you don't, that's okay. All advice would be very much appreciated. =)

Your synths are terrible, and the whole thing sounds a little too slow. There's a timing glitch in the middle of it, and the repetition makes it boring.

You should filter your synths to get a smoother sound. Those bitcrushed sounds don't really fit and raw synths don't really work well with trance. For that bass/backing synth you should filter it, and get rid of the bitcrushing. Add some reverb to make it more of a background track. The lead synth could use some delay as well as some filter automation.

Dunno what your biggest problems are, new guy, but your sound is one of the things you need to work on. Play with synths, look at some presets and make some of your own from scratch, try some effects on them, see what they do.

You have a pretty good source to work with, and those drum loops aren't bad. You just gotta learn to get your other sounds up to that same level (and beyonoood!). Dunno how long you've been mixing, but you'll learn this stuff quickly once you get a feel for it. Good luck and have fun mixing. :D

Agreed. The synths are very basic and I just don't like the bass. It's not a bad arrangement and normally I'm not overly picky on tone......but the glory days of chip tunes are gone and even for free there are infinitely superior sounding synths out there. The really oldschool square wave sounds and what not should, in my opinion, only be used for a retro effect here and there.

That being said I thought the arrangement and song overall was promising! Just think of how awesome it would sound with better synths!

Just completely erase the segment around :45 - 1:07 and start that over. It's disgusting.

In fact, lose all the way to 2:00 because that synth sticks around and ugh.

Now, the meat of your song, with the bass and the percussion and the better melody synth, I fucking adore that. You just gotta make the rest live up to it.

There's this coffee-maker sounding rapid clicky noise from :20 to :45 that doesn't sound intentional. And if it is intentional well, then, it doesn't sound very good. Actually it kicks back in around 2:00 and I think it goes with the synth you're using there. That synth sounds great for the most part but you gotta lose that click it makes.

Gotta ask, you've been playin' some Rearmed lately, haven't you?

First of all, thank you all for giving me tips. I've acted on just about all of them in the latest version, which is found right in this very URL.

From first version to second version, I've:

• Eased some of the transitions to make it less sudden.
  • Removed the attack on the main synth for the melody, and made the melody no longer legato.
  • Completely threw out the bass synth and replaced it.
  • Changed the second part of the song's chords so they did not stick out too much, and changed the line so it was more shaped.
  • Fixed the :47 - 1:07 part. My bad.
  • Also fixed that coffee maker synth. Apparently one of the oscillators was accidentally turned on at a ridiculously low volume and pitch some how. Whoops.
  • Sped the BPM up to 142.
  • Changed the levels of the accompaniment so that it wasn't so loud.

Anything else I should address here?