*NO* Deus Ex 'Eastern Minds'

djpretzel

Contact Info

- ReMixer name: Sen

- Email: sensei@jellycreations.com

- Forum userid:

ReMix Info

- Game: Deus Ex

- Song ReMixed: The Synapse (Hong Kong Streets)

- Additional info: Original Deus Ex game on PC, music by Alexander Brandon

- Link to the original soundtrack: http://jadiepoo.com/dx/OST/

- Comments: This mix was made entirely in FL Studio, remixed by ear with no source MIDI file as I could not find one. The superb bassline of the original was enough to make me want to create this mix.

http://jadiepoo.com/dx/OST/11%20-%20The%20Synapse%20(Hong%20Kong%20Streets).mp3 - "The Synapse"

First off, thanks a lot for providing us with the actual source tune link. I'm not liking how sparsely this track opens up for the 46 second intro with this flimsy loungy lead and soft kicks. The intro of the dance beats at :30 is very abrupt. This really pales in comparison with the source's own intro. Both of these issues are present again when your repeat this stuff at 3:16 (with the abrupt reemergence of the beats at 3:30).

I feel like more effort was put into these beats than the melodic arrangement at times, but you can occasionally hear some decent ambient sounds in play. I say occasionally, because the dance beats are too loud over the melodic ambiance. Whatever synth enters in at 1:57 to handle more stuff from the source is a really poor choice. Sounds pretty weak moving from note to note. And again, the beats drown it out anyway.

The beat pattern that started at 1:10 is pretty cool, but basically repeats ad nauseum for a couple of minutes at a time. Use subtle beat changeups throughout the track, much like how the beats at :31 & 1:10 were different from one another, but do it more often. Short and sweet, get rid of the flatter sounds here, place the "Synapse" melody (and the supporting elements) more in the forefront instead of the beats, and create more variation in the beatwork. Not a bad genre adaptation, Kirk, but it needs some more work. I'd look forward to a resubmission though.

NO (revise & resubmit)

I love the Deus Ex game, and the soundtrack is so good...

Anyway, on to judging this mix. I agree with Liontamer in that this takes a while to get going, as it's mainly just beats. The vibe is there though.

Mostly everything before 2.46 feels like it has too much beat and a distinct lack of melodic elements, especially as the original had so much going on in that area. This is pretty good, but it just needs to be that little bit more defined as far as mid/high frequencies and melodic instruments go.

Almost there

NO

nice house loop.

sweet pads.

a generally good mood here.

what's missing here is some contrast.

it just comes off as repetitive.

the flowing melody doesn't really provide enough forward momentum on its own, you'll have to shake things up a bit to make this one work.

it's pleasant, but you can do better.

no

(edit: and yes, thanks for providing the source material!)

I thought this was quite cool and a very pleasant listen. I agree especially with what analoq stated. There needs some change, and contrast here either instrumentally or compositionally as it progresses. I also think the production could be spiced up a bit with more interesting effects processing or better mixing/mastering. Close, I suggest working on this a bit more and resubmitting. I'd like to see this pass the panel.

Borderline NO.