Zelda: A Link to the Past - Dark World Rock/Orchestral/Funk cover WIP

dfast

Great idea and great vibes. The strings didn't sound so good when they were exposed in the beginning but they weren't a problem when the beat starts. Guitar feels thin and a bit underprocessed, maybe add a tad of stereo expand to it.

I really like the flute/shakuhachi/whatever-it-is coming into the solo at 2:21. I suggest having the piano play the all the chords that make up the first few bars of the source (right now it's already playing half of them) just to make it more cohesive to the rest of the track. I mean, the last half of the track is basically original material so you gotta bring in the source more somehow.

The slap and additional guitar that comes in later is even more awesome. More impressed that you did this in Renoise. You got the skills.

I came in wondering what the fuck rock/orchestral/funk could sound like. Turned out to be rock/orchestral transitioning into straight funk, which is to say it turned out wonderful.

Huggin' the source a bit closely for the first half and then it totally disappears for the second. If you could maybe balance that out a bit I think the song would end up better for it.

And your orchestral instruments do not sound convincing. Also the percussion was boring but you already mentioned that.

One thing's for certain, you fucking rocked that flute.

Cheers for the comments!

The orchestral sounds, piano and flute were played on Yamaha MOTIF8 synthesizer and one random fact is that I don't record midi (unless I'm doing some high accuracy demanding arpeggios or such), so what you hear is live played. I have to agree on the dull orchestral sounds and originally I wasn't going to put those in there but instead make a full blown rock cover of the Dark World theme. But inspiration comes and goes... The funk part was never planned either.

Generally speaking I've always experienced problems remixing game music, because my initial feeling is always the idea of making a cover. It's hard to remix something I'm so used to and I always feel like there should be someone making good sounding rock covers of e.g. Mega Man music. And yeah, I do hug the source but it's a cover after all.

Oh, and I love funk ;-)

Too conservative for ocr, but pretty cool. Seems like you can't decide between orchestral hard rock and funk, tho. :P

I've noticed it's easier to create my own takes on tracks by starting from the middle of the first half, making sure an out-of-context part sounds interpretive enough, then build an intro to that and then just keep going. Might work for you too when you wanna do a ReMix. :)