Contact Information

CJthemusicdude

Chris

CJthemusicdude@gmail.com

CJthemusicdude.com

CJthemusicdude

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Puggsy

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Cove theme.

Name of remix: Last Lucky Planet

Additional information: The composer = Matt Furniss. System = Genesis.

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix: I've always loved the melodies from Puggsy, the whole soundtrack is awesome so I decided to give it some love. You can expect at least a one more Puggsy Mix from me in the future. :)

---------------------------

Interesting semi-old school take on the theme. This would really be at home on OCR from 2002-2003 I think. :-)

There is good references to the source throughout, with a pleasant, expanded sound overall. The arrangement and beat are pretty conservative, however. There are a few structural changes, but beyond the sound upgrade and a few breakdown sections and the intro, it's pretty dang similar. I've thought on the arrangement quite a bit, and it'll be close either way.

The samples aren't blowing my mind, but are clean, well-balanced, and get the job done decently enough. The synth doing the marching pattern at :24 could have been a little less mechanical, as could a few other areas, sequencing-wise, but as the soundscape develops, it gels together pretty well.

The ending is pretty sudden and weak though. I longer held out chord at the very least would have improved this.

Though there are a few things that are keeping this from being a sure thing, I enjoyed the track, and I think enough interpretation is present for me to give this one the nod.

Yes

I had to think about this for a while, and after reading Andrew's vote, there are a lot of things I do agree with, but I think this is coming up just short for me. The arrangement sticks just a little too conservative, which wouldn't be a deal breaker on it's own, but combined with the sounds being average to good and a few of the mechanical sections I think it's just shy of where it needs to be. I'd like to see this revisited.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

I second OA's comment on this sounding like an old-school sub, and this definitely would have passed back in those days. This has a lot of the problems that those early subs had: expanded instrumentation but conservative, lack of polish in the sequencing and mixing, generic sounds, pretty dry. Some specifics that I think you should look at: crowdedness at sections like 2:49, sequencing the bass less rigidly or finding a smoother bass, varying your note volumes to add more subtlety.

NO

• 1 month later...

not a lot to add to these other votes; vanilla sounds and rigid sequencing are the main offenders here, though the production overall wasn't too bad. if the arrangement had more going for it then this would be pretty close for me, but those issues coupled with a pretty conservative arrangement makes this a no.

NO(resub)

Man, what a lengthy build. :43's section was part of that build, but sounded VERY empty as if more should have been going on. Man, some fugly, dry sounds at :58. Just muddy and distorted sounding. Ah man, the source melody finally came in at 1:12 and the samples were so rigidly sequenced and exposed, and the arrangement was too straightforward.

1:47's stuff at least sounded more new agey with that Blade Runner-ish lead. But overall, just a lot of poorly mixed, unpolished, messy sounds that are typical of the developing artists in the European scene (no hate). It's not mixed well at all and the dry instrumentation and very mechanical timing isn't that pleasing to listen to.

I hate to sound to like an asshole, Chris, but this is just taxing to listen to. However, don't be discouraged, but please aggressively use the Game ReMixes feedback & Music Production forums here for advice to start improving your works.

NO