*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Breaking Point'

djpretzel

Hey there, Pretzel. Hopefully the third submission gets through. Try, try, try again, right? Well, here goes:

DJ Name: Toxic Soul

Forum Username: Toxic Soul

My Name: Kevin White

Userid: I tried to find this, and couldn't.

Song Remixed: Chrono Trigger Battle Theme by Yasunori Mitsuda

Song Title & URL: Breaking Point OC Remix

Comments:

I felt this was an improvement from previous works, and I love the sound of a choir. Mixed with slightly jazzy breaks and the muted trumpet, I think this is a fairly good mix, and carries a lot of originality. I enjoyed the double bass and "mission" feel to it. Thanks for taking a listen, and I look forward ot feedback. Also, the IDv3 tags are a little messed up, so if you could fix those, that'd be funtastic.

-Kevin

Interesting new-age-y opening; not at all what I expected from a battle remix. I can't help but thinking, though, that those timpani-ish samples clash in terms of quality - they sound considerably worse than the other stuff that's playing. The transition to the acoustic drums and double bass is good, but the drums themselves are a little too dry. Adding some light compression/overdrive to the whole set and possibly some crisp long-decay reverb on the snare would really help here, I'd say. Unfortunately, while the beginning was fairly interesting, the muted trumpet and timpani playing the melody are really pretty low quality. Considering changing the instrument there, perhaps to a relaxing porta synth or even a saxophone - what's there currently doesn't work that great. Also, assuming my download didn't mess up, there is a cutoff at the end that sounds awful (total length 3:19).

This is a strong start, so now you just need to keep going with it. I liked the choir/pad parts, the sequencing of the drums, and the general structure (except for the ending). However, I would suggest polishing the actual sound of the drums more, changing the trumpet or at least giving it a more varied part, perhaps adding a little bit of reverb to the 'real' instruments to make the mix less dry, and changing the timpani.

NO

Zirconium is right...that..percussionesque...sample.. sounds really bad. the trumpet also ought to be louder.

the groove in this song is really enjoyable. it's got a good sound. unfortunately the vamp repeats too much. once the bass comes in, it doesnt really go anywhere.

oh jeez, a big WTF on the ending.

just sounded like it was about to get going.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Battle 1" (ct-1-12.spc)

Yeah, cool idea for this theme at least. I thought the clunky whatever-it-was was pretty cool. The sounds are pretty beginner-grade, but at least decent. The drums are pretty dry.

Oooh, the faux-sax at 1:01 was just terrible. As the melodic lead, it needs to be brought up more, but the sample chosen for it is really holding this back.

Hitting 1:45, the arrangement gets pretty boring, as there's no real development. The belltones gets a little more active, but the brass is again low and both the bass & drumwork are disappointingly dry. The bass is so muted and dry that it contributes virtually nothing.

The arrangement's still not going anywhere the whole time. We hit 3:00 and it just limps to the finish before the track abruptly cuts out at 3:19; obviously a mistake there during the encoding or upload, so that's unfortunate. Not bad at all, but it doesn't look salvageable at this level of experience or lackthereof. Better luck next crime.

NO