I would like to submit a song to OCR. Some submission infos:

ReMixer name: hoha

Email: haekal67@gmail.com

OCR id: 29148

Song title: Birmingham Beatdown

Game arranged: Super Dodge Ball

Song arranged: Team England's Theme

Original song link:

Some notes: This song was arranged for the "Super Dodge Ball: Around The World" album project (directors: Murmeli Walan, KyleJCrb)

Own comments:

Well, this is my 1st submission to OCR.

To arrange a Team England song, obviously i need to get some references from the country.

When i think about British, the things that immediately came to my mind were Hammond organ. Deep Purple. Tower Bells.

And so, i incorporated some of these elements into the original Team England song and this is the end result.

--------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...

I think this arrangement is pretty awesome, and overall I enjoyed listening to it quite a bit. You've taken the original theme into an obvious and needed direction; all the style variations are great, and instrumentation is chosen well. Drums work to compliment everything nicely. I had a couple nitpicks, namely that overall the track runs a little long, and probably could lose a couple of the weaker variations. Along with that some of the transitions aren't the strongest, though none of them stood out as absolutely needing a fix. The bass feels a little muddy overall as well.

No problem giving this a YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nice arrangement! It's pure awesome when the lead guitar kicks in. I love all the sonic variation and transitions; the instrumentation is always flowing and changing. the drums are excellent, and the mix overall is nice and crunchy. piano sample was a bit fake sounding when exposed (1:15 for example), but the sequencing is tight. I'm all for this. :)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Like SDB's Japan BGM, this song is based off an existing song (The Beatles' "Get Back"), but here the connection is much looser and more of an homage. I don't think it runs into any site restriction conflict the way that song did.

The arrangement is kind of all over the place, but in a good way. It's a lot of fun and arranges the melodies in really creative ways. Even hearing the same melody a dozen times or so over the course of the song, it doesn't start to wear. Playing and sequencing are great too. However, I thought it got pretty liberal at times, so I timestamped it:

0:35-0:56

1:08-1:50

2:03-2:30 (chord progression only for part of this)

3:22-3:29

3:34-3:45

108/267=40.4%

You've got a few more sections that flow into the chord progression really well, but aren't really countable IMO. Call me a stickler (heck, call me Larry), but I think this one is too liberal. Let's hope he swoops in and shows me the source I'm missing.

NO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

- Vs. Team England

- "Get Back"

- "A Hard Day's Night"
Like SDB's Japan BGM, this song is based off an existing song (The Beatles' "Get Back"), but here the connection is much looser and more of an homage. I don't think it runs into any site restriction conflict the way that song did.

I don't agree. I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this source is based off music not originally written for a game, not just one song, but two, and would be ineligible as a source for an OC ReMix.

The source tune didn't just take from "Get Back" (:07-:16 of the source uses arranges the verse from :31-:45 of "Get Back" with some minor variation, but not enough to not sound like a pretty close take, IMO), it also took the chorus from "A Hard Day's Night" (:16-:28 of the source, arranging :44-:59 of "A Hard Day's Night").

The Team England theme does some minor variations on those Beatles songs, but it's practically (rough approx.) 3/4ths Beatles. It's literally the "Get Back" verses paired with the "Hard Day's Night" chorus. For the end of each usage of those songs, there's some brief original writing so that it doesn't quite end the same way as the mainstream songs, but the changes are fleeting. The source tune is basically a chiptune of two Beatles tracks.

As much as I hate to deny Hoha, we need to be overriding this YES vote since this Beatles-based source material is ineligible. I need another J or djp to weigh in in order to confirm an override.

NO Override

I'd like Dave to make the call on this (or a judges' majority) because I didn't think the similarity was enough to call it a straight up Beatles arrangement. I mentioned the "Hard Day's Night" similarity to everyone at some point (probably on IRC) but thought that was an even looser connection than "Get Back".

EDIT: Haha just noticed djp's write-up for Sixto's track. Guess he made his call.