Pokémon - Oceanic

ad.mixx

Ok.. so I wasn't sure if this was ok since what I'm really trying to see right now is if this is musically "ok"... but it's worth of shot.

So I've been working with FL for a while now - well sort of. Maybe about 2 months or so.

I've mostly been messing around with everything musically, and reading the Composition forum for information almost daily, lol. I just started this today pretty much. I didn't really even feel it was even WIP material..

I'm really just trying to figure out if the ideas are good here.. or maybe is there too much or not enough? Something I really want to know before I continue on putting more and more ideas down. I feel like this sort of information might be in the Music Composition forum.. but I can't find it. :/

Anyways..

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbTtXfPhba8

mix: http://tindeck.com/listen/mcvo

updated sort of

i actually forgot a source:

plan on using that more than what is in it now.

edit: Ahhhhhh, I don't know why the hell I rushed here. I completely forgot I could just ask the other forum. :/ I'm always reading Guides/Tutorials lately and forget about that. Sorry :/

Very interesting take on this. That snare sounds a little weird, but it's VERY close to working really well. Maybe a little more compression on it (and maybe a bit quieter). As of now it really gives off an underwater feel, but needs just a bit more 'oomph' in my opinion. . . compression will do that.

The leads sounds a little flat, imo; try decreasing the portamento time on it a bit to make those slides a little bit quicker.

That piano is absolutely perfect. Keep it just like it is.

I could definitely see this changing up some chords later on, actually pretty much right after it cuts off in this version.

Alright, I've given my view on the song as a listener, and perhaps a more experienced/knowledgeable reviewer can come in and provide more in-depth feedback. Have fun with the creation of the rest of this track!

Not sure where I found the piano, hah, but I will try the compression. The underwater feeling was completely by accident. But I was thinking about compression on it. And to get rid of some sort of white noise I hear on it...

Thank you for the feedback, though (especially from another PMD fan :D). I know my post is kind of hectic. I just had a problem putting this up; was constantly trying to improve small pointless things while uploading. I'll just suck it up and leave it here though.

• 2 weeks later...
Very interesting take on this. That snare sounds a little weird, but it's VERY close to working really well. Maybe a little more compression on it (and maybe a bit quieter). As of now it really gives off an underwater feel, but needs just a bit more 'oomph' in my opinion. . . compression will do that.

The leads sounds a little flat, imo; try decreasing the portamento time on it a bit to make those slides a little bit quicker.

That piano is absolutely perfect. Keep it just like it is.

I could definitely see this changing up some chords later on, actually pretty much right after it cuts off in this version.

Alright, I've given my view on the song as a listener, and perhaps a more experienced/knowledgeable reviewer can come in and provide more in-depth feedback. Have fun with the creation of the rest of this track!

I would say that this man hit it on the head. Compressing the snare is definitely a good idea to get that snare more stand out ish for people to follow and head bob yeye

The snare sounds a bit off. I think it sounds like you have placed the snare through a LP filter with a too-low cutoff. I'm sure this could be fixed in FL Studio somehow, but I haven't looked at FL in a while, so...

Disagree, sort of... (?) At the beginning, this sounds just fine. HOWEVER, like GuitahHeroe said, it will need to be less portamento-y (That's definitely NOT a word...) as you WIP goes along.

Also- check your VST to make sure you don't have retrigger off. This can also cause sliding noise. Not as much, but even with portamento on, retrigger can add a different sound to a sliding note. You might want to experement a bit with that.

This has promise, I will give you that. Good luck.

I was liking it for the most part...

But that synth lead is a MAJOR issue for me.

I am lucky I was only listening through my speakers...

What is that synth anyway? I don't think it matters really actually now that I've thought on it. I just think it's too cheesy, too much like a really poor synthvoice.

Get some better samples in that area.

It does start out fine however, and does grow on you, but I think you could really benefit from changing that synth.

I was liking it for the most part...

But that synth lead is a MAJOR issue for me.

I am lucky I was only listening through my speakers...

What is that synth anyway? I don't think it matters really actually now that I've thought on it. I just think it's too cheesy, too much like a really poor synthvoice.

Get some better samples in that area.

It does start out fine however, and does grow on you, but I think you could really benefit from changing that synth.

Never thought about it, but Taradien is right. You might want to look at that.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Didn't expect these to be honest...

I updated the song just a bit.. I've been messing with a lot of things.... but I do agree that the lead synth is a little, well, cheesy. I'll work on it later, though. The arrangement is the main thing bugging me. I have an idea of what I want to do with it from this point, but I think I'll have to find a new synth sample before I go anywhere. I took out that last piano part because it's just obviously not gonna work. >.>

So yeah, it's pretty much the same as it was.. I messed with the port like TGH said. Sounds a bit better to my ears and doesn't hurt as much... but it still not what I want. I'll work on that a lot.

Really, thanks for all these criticisms I'm very surprised I even got any. Haha.