*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Evil Has a Name (Robotnik)' *FT*

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: Sefiros

e-mail: bumflekitten@hotmail.com

forum id: 9598

Game remixed: Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Songs remixed: Boss Theme

lycos is funny with linking to files so you have to wait until it redirects you then save the file from there

i sent it in june last year. an orchestrated remix of the boss music from sonic 2. this is the first track i've done that i think is worthy of OC ReMix, and it's new version of the first song I remixed. resequenced and re-arranged completely

Holy excessive reverb, batman!

it's really just too much. the instruments are muddy, mushy, dirty, all other things wet.

aside from that, the arrangement is awfully repetitive for a mix that's less than 3 minutes long. there's a rather lengthy intro which i would consider quite empty...not minimalistic, which usually implies the presence of effective melody or atmosphere or something, it's just empty.

you need to come up with some new ideas to make the mix more interesting. and please cut down the reverb.

NO

Ok.. when this ended, I was left thinking, "where's the rest of the mix?" There's a LOT of buildup going on up until 1:20, but even that semi-dramatic section becomes calm again at 1:42. Afterwords, there is more buildup followed by an abrupt dying-down of the sound into a completely unfulfilling ending. It seems like you know a thing or two about the structure of an orchestral mix, so why did you stop? Not to mention there is not all that much rearrangement going on in what you have now, which is not good at all considering the length of the piece. The source tune may not be complex, but based on what I've heard of your other material, I'm confident you can do better.

There are some problems production-wise too. Like Vig said, WAY too much reverb. Tone that down, particularly for the lower-register instruments, where it tends to muck up the sound more. Also, the panning of the strings is distractingly random, zipping from ear to ear for no apparently reason. Finally, the dynamic levels of the different instruments are messy - the choir is almost inaudible, as is the flute, but the bass strings are extremely loud. The booming timpani is always present, but when the horns have the melody midway through the piece, they're not given much attention. What's up with that? Refine and resubmit.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sonic2.rar - Boss (Robotnik Theme.gym)

Pretty lengthy intro for only a 2:47 mix. A minute in and there still hasn't been anything from the source yet. We finally get into some strings handling the Boss theme at 1:06 with some ambient support. Pretty straightforward arrangement, perhaps too much so. Moves into the piano at 1:42 putting a (little) bit more flair into it, but it's basically repeating the same couple of bars over and over again with some subtle support. It then hits some original material at 2:06 briefly mingled with the source, before heading for the close.

There wasn't really that much to this in terms of arrangement. I realize the source isn't much, but this has to be more beyond an original intro & close with the theme transposed to strings and piano. This is an older piece, so I'm hoping you've stepped up your game on that level and won't harp on this too badly. Even beyond what you used here, you could also make some cool ideas just playing around with the 6-second intro of the source tunes. Underdeveloped and full of unexplored potential. Pretty empty for an orchestral mix. zirc covered the bulk of production issues very nicely, so go over that thoroughly.

NO

EVIL HAS A NAME, AND ITS NAME IS REVERB!

Really guys I'm disappointed in you. Nobody thought of saying that yet? :(

Anyway yeah. What the heck man, kill that reverb a little. Actally a lot. Okay I'm going to give everyone reading this some really important advice about using reverb in orchestral pieces right now, so pay attention.

Don't make it sound like it's being played in a concert hall. Make it so that it will sound nice if you play it in a concert hall.

Okay now that that's out of the way, the mix is too short, it doesn't develop at all, and the ideas are haphazardly placed. There's no pay-off, no--dare I say it?--money shot. Where's the crazy military march style interpretation? The whole thing sounds like it's building up to something but it never gets there. How unfulfilling. :(

Needs development! NO