FF1-Matoya's Magnificent Melodic Metal Muenster Mosh(4-20-11)

Garpocalypse

Well this is actually a pretty fun little remix. It's repetitive and quiet, though - you sure this is as loud you can take the track without production problems? Some of the textures are a little loud compared to the guts of the track (guitar and lead), so you might want to mix them down a bit.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed it for what it is - a fun bit of inspiration. Nice work.

Well this is actually a pretty fun little remix. It's repetitive and quiet, though.

The repetition is mostly intentional, I just hope it doesn't sound too robotic. When I work on this again i'll try to get more variation and less cut and paste.

One thing that has always eluded me is just how most people get their mixes up to good volume. I really thought I had this time too. I mean, it's a rock piece so I was free to compress the master as much as i wanted though I didn't push it up far into the red. (uh-oh, he's talking about compression! I have a feeling that this post will be flamed now).

I know this has been asked a few times here but how do you get the volume of the mix up to decent levels without relying on excessive compression?

I was going to post this in your visitor messages, but it was too long. So I'll post it here instead.

In response to how I got my CoT mix up to the levels while preserving dynamics...

"That's sort of hard to answer, actually, since there's quite a few things that I do to get dynamics in a pretty highly compressed environment (and that song in particular has compression all over the place, for the effect). For my synths & drums I actually set the velocities to affect amplitude, which makes for easier note-by-note dynamic effects. I tend to mix both pre-limiting on the master track and post-limiting, since it's important to make sure those levels are not red lining to start with (the pre-limiting mixing helps with this), but it's also important to hear what the 'final product' is mixed like, so to speak. You can't rely on the red zone alone, since that can only take your mix so high. You really need to trust your ears and raise the limiters in order to get the desired levels of volume. Be sure to watch for both hard clipping (that 'fuzz' that occurs when the mix is in the reds), overcompressing (when the track sounds like it gets quieter artificially to keep the sounds at the sounds at one level) and 'pumping' (pretty much rhythmic overcompression - normally from the drums being too loud). It's really an art that just takes time to get used to.

Also, that CoT mix of mine in particular sort of cheats, since I purposely bit-crushed most of my sounds for effect. Since that often sounds like hard clipping the parts that do clip (there are a few in there I know about) sound intentional. That's really an artificial trick, though, that won't apply to most tracks, though, so don't go relying on bit-crushing everything you have for that reason :P"

So yeah, there really isn't and avoiding raising the limiters on the master track, if you want to get the desired levels. A little redlining can't be helped, but often that occurs in inaudible ranges before it happens in a range that the human ear can hear so you need to be ever vigilant yourself for the clipping.

Thanks, i'll try messing around with limiters a little more and see what I get. The only limiter I have been using is the one on Dimension Pro and that one is really easy to use. It's just an on/off switch.:<

I'm still new at the production end of things, I've learned alot from the OCR talent but are there any other message boards/resources that are good to use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated my original post with my latest effort that I would like to submit for MOD review.

stats.png

I am really hoping to answer this one question I have had about this since I first started working on this and that is: If you were at Subway right now, ordering a sandwhich, what type of sub would this be? Are we talking Meatball or Vegetarian? Submeat or No-Submeat. Get it? :<

Keep thinking about it. There might be some humor in there somewhere.

-gar

You ripped off Equilibrium and that lead is horrible. For reference for anyone not familiar with Equilibrium:

I guess I might as well give you some feedback though if you're going to choose to continue with this thing. I'd say chop about 3 minutes off of it, most definitely the Equilibrium song that you've recreated about 80% of here. Take ALL of that out. Apart from that, I'd say the melodies from Matoya's Cave are recognizable for two very brief moments. This wouldn't pass purely based on source usage, even if you cut everything BUT the source usage you'd end up with about 20 seconds worth of song left. :/

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but this thing needs a complete overhaul, from the ground up. Apart from that, the sound quality wasn't very good -- heavy rhythms are typically hardpanned with 2 tracks instead of just 1. Sometimes more. Listen to the Equilibrium song you ripped off and use it as an example of how metal production should be. :-P

Because everything's mono and just jammed together into one spot and covered with reverb, it sounds extremely muddy. I wouldn't recommend trying to put a limiter on this to get loudness. The bigger issue is cleaning up your recording, finishing your recording, and.... well... like I said you do need to start from the ground up. You can slap a small riff from a song as an homage from time to time but don't sample a whole friggin' song in your remix. :-P

You ripped off Equilibrium and that lead is horrible. For reference for anyone not familiar with Equilibrium:

:-P

Yeoow. I think i'm bleeding from that one. But if it needed to be said it needed to be said right? I'm a big Equifan so I used some quotes from Met and Wingthors Hammer as inspiration. Though it's a fine line between Homage and Plagiarism.

As far as the Rhythm Guitars go i had a total of 4 tracks two hard panned left/right and two 50% between two different rhythm guitars. With each pair EQ'ed differently (100%&100%, 50%&50%).

Throwing this one back in the pile.

-gar