Pokémon Platinum Giratina Battle Remix

Good choice of source, first of all. One of my personal favorites from the series where most of the battle themes sound the same.

It's suitably dissonant, almost too much so in the beginning. My ears are woefully untrained in terms of mixing and synth quality, but that seems fine to me, too. Good job!

Most remixes I find of this song are rather good, though each of them retaining their own unique sound in their rendition. Yours is no exception, and it's in a genre I personally like a lot (and remix to).

You did a good job keeping the song close to the remixed theme (which I approve of more than the addition of original segments), you've got good quality in your sounds, a good application of distortion that (in my opinion) works well for the song in its application, and you've avoided repetition by breaking the song at the appropriate times in different ways.

The only thing I found odd was some of the notes hit were out of pitch, but that may have been because of the distortion or what-not, but that's almost irrelevant since it's hardly noticeable/anything to be concerned with.

Good job. This is a very enjoyable remix.

Guess I might as well download now before I forget to. XD

• 2 weeks later...

For future reference, please provide a link to the original track when using Mod Review. Thanks :)

At first glance, I'd say this is too conservative for ocr standards. You've basically kept the song structure, melodies, & feel the same as the original - just with different sounds. It would need a lot more personalization to be above the arrangement bar.

I was admittedly pretty thrown off at first by the dissonance. I listened to your mix before listening to the source, though, and I now see where it comes from. Still, though it may have worked in the original, I don't feel like it's working for a dance mix like you've got here.

On the production side, you've got some good energy here with the beat and bass synth going. There's a lot of clutter here with the various parts. I'd look into cutting down on reverb. Also, a lot of synths are fighting for the same sonic space - there's just too much "stuff" going on with similar textures. Try to balance out parts a bit more so backing parts odn't occupy so much space, the leads are able to shine out, while the beat still has the punch to drive the mix.

One extra note, the sound effect on two of the transitions seemed way too loud and didn't really feel like it served it's purpose as a bridge between the parts (assuming that's what you were going for).

Overall, you've got some nice synths, and a nice base with your underlying drums & bass, but more work is needed on personalization/writing, mixing & balance.

I'll disagree with Nutri on the sound used for the transitions; in the game, that's Giratina's cry and I think it sounds awesome in this context. I also think the dissonance works fine in this context and helps keep the mood.

Unfortunately, I have to agree on the more pressing matter of this being too close to the original song. You've got some cool sounds here and a lot of energy, but no matter how good the adaptation is, when your remix is pretty much just a cover of the original, it's not going to really be acceptable for OCR's standards. In addition, the balancing on this track isn't really doing it for me, I can pretty much echo Nutritious's concerns on that.

That said, this is a pretty neat song and I'm enjoying the listen. If you feel up to varying the track so it's a bit more interpretive, this might have some place on OCR, or you could just take this as a learning experience and start on something fresh, where it'll be easier to craft a song to OCR's standards. Take that for what it's worth :-)

I'm pretty agreeing with everything Nutritious is saying here - dissonance, close to the original, and mixing issues.

However, I reckon you could kill two birds with one stone here, because atm, you have a dissonant remix thats close to the source. If I was you, I'd try to make this remix sound more coherent in terms of a clearer scale, get rid of the dissonance but keep the rhythms intact. That would solve pretty much all your arrangement issues.

Regarding production, sounds are nice, but you need make some more room for the large amount of sounds you have going on. Drums sound a bit weak for the huge, yet somewhat simple synths you have going on right now.

This needs work to get to ocr, but its def doable :D

Good luck man.