Pokémon G/S/C Lance Battle Theme ReMix

My first remix I believe I put up for review here was the G/S/C Champ battle, as it was the first theme I had every really remixed. I've come a LOOOOOOOONG way since then (it's been over a year), and felt the need to redo this in a more epic, melodic style. My common critique around here is to deviate from the form of the song, which I think I executed quite well. It's probably the piece I've worked the longest on, and the one that builds the most from beginning to end. So go ahead, give it a listen: I'll give the YouTube link as well as the archive site.

LINK:

YouTube--

archive-- http://www.archive.org/details/PokemonGscEpicRemixOfLance

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUVS5FXngPY

I commented on the video:

Very nice! There are some things you could improve on, though.

-
~ Maybe turn down the bass enough so that people listening to this with earphones or with their iPod can enjoy the other interesting aspects of it! You could also turn up the kick and snare, and make a powerful beat there to accompany the synth.

-
~ With this bass, perhaps you could use a different one with just as much presence, because the one you're using is hard to discern with when figuring out what notes it's playing.

- I don't know why, but the end note sounds ever so slightly sharp. Maybe it's just me.

- DRAGONITE'S CRY! :D

This starts off pretty well with the minimalist approach... not going to comment too much on production at this point, but the samples seem rather generic and bland to me, not to mention the mixing is off - drums too quiet, bass too loud, seems slightly muddy overall. You got a link to the MP3 you can send? Youtube compresses the audio in its videos, which makes this hard to Mod Review. Have a look at some hosting sites such as Mediafire and Tindeck. http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/ is also a good choice.

Arrangment seems to pretty cool to me at first listen. You host the MP3 somewhere and I'll give this a more indepth listen :)

This starts off pretty well with the minimalist approach... not going to comment too much on production at this point, but the samples seem rather generic and bland to me, not to mention the mixing is off - drums too quiet, bass too loud, seems slightly muddy overall. You got a link to the MP3 you can send? Youtube compresses the audio in its videos, which makes this hard to Mod Review. Have a look at some hosting sites such as Mediafire and Tindeck. http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/ is also a good choice.

Arrangment seems to pretty cool to me at first listen. You host the MP3 somewhere and I'll give this a more indepth listen :)

Link is below the youtube one (titled archive) I use archive.org.

lol my bad. I looked at that site originally but couldn't see how to download it... thought you had to like... sign in or something.

There is this weird clicking going on throughout, not sure if its the decay on the bass or something... its very distracting, but the bass isn't as loud as in the youtube version. Production has alot of issues, mostly stuff I mentioned in the post below, that would stop this from being ocr passable. Arrangement seems good enough to me tho like I said some sweet ideas, and a pretty cool intro imho, but the production needs an overhaul.

lol my bad. I looked at that site originally but couldn't see how to download it... thought you had to like... sign in or something.

There is this weird clicking going on throughout, not sure if its the decay on the bass or something... its very distracting, but the bass isn't as loud as in the youtube version. Production has alot of issues, mostly stuff I mentioned in the post below, that would stop this from being ocr passable. Arrangement seems good enough to me tho like I said some sweet ideas, and a pretty cool intro imho, but the production needs an overhaul.

So overall, a better instrumentation, and more eq manipulation? Im not sure what the click is that your are referring to......I don't here it, could you give me an example of where it starts?

Also, I make remixes with garageband, would you happen to know any good compatible syths I could use for it? I've really been looking for a decent guitar font; its really hard to run across those; as well as a techno drum kit.

So overall, a better instrumentation, and more eq manipulation? Im not sure what the click is that your are referring to......I don't here it, could you give me an example of where it starts?

Also, I make remixes with garageband, would you happen to know any good compatible syths I could use for it? I've really been looking for a decent guitar font; its really hard to run across those; as well as a techno drum kit.

The click is most prominent when the bass is doing that solo section at 2:00, and it seems to click every time the bass note hits which is why I thought it was the decay that was causing it, its throughout the mix generally.

I'm a reason user, which is self-contained, I use my synths in that, so I wouldn't be able to give you any good ideas of synths plug-ins but I've heard Zebra is a good plug in to try, i'd start there. You should check out this thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4556

Guitars - good time to mention shreddage, its the best rhythm guitar sampler i've heard. As for guitar leads... get a guitar? :P

For techno drum kits... can't really help you with plug ins there either but I do have some advice for you regarding sound design for drums - layer different drum sounds together, five snares sound better than one, and it allows for different timbre combinations when writing your drum parts, helps make them sound more interesting.

The click is most prominent when the bass is doing that solo section at 2:00, and it seems to click every time the bass note hits which is why I thought it was the decay that was causing it, its throughout the mix generally.

I'm a reason user, which is self-contained, I use my synths in that, so I wouldn't be able to give you any good ideas of synths plug-ins but I've heard Zebra is a good plug in to try, i'd start there. You should check out this thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4556

Guitars - good time to mention shreddage, its the best rhythm guitar sampler i've heard. As for guitar leads... get a guitar? :P

For techno drum kits... can't really help you with plug ins there either but I do have some advice for you regarding sound design for drums - layer different drum sounds together, five snares sound better than one, and it allows for different timbre combinations when writing your drum parts, helps make them sound more interesting.

Goodness, after listening to that section again I hear EXACTLY what your talking about. I think that's Garageband's way of trying to make it more "real" by making it seem like a strum or pluck of a string. Either way, that's an easy fix, and I will be sure to get rid of it right away. And I own a guitar, I just don't think I could play the part that well at all. Hahaha but I will definitely check those threads out. Thanks for your help bro!

Well I must compliment on how good it sounds for being garageband. Very nicely done! :-D

That being said I think I understand the limitations of the software and how it affects the mix. The drum packs in garageband are rather lacking imho. They are quiet and sound pretty generic. The Dnb'esque section around 3 minutes sounds pretty good though.

Also the synths in Garageband are also pretty weak and generic. Again nothing you could do much about. It's just Garageband.

What you could control though is the composition and flow of the piece and that was perfect I think. Bravo!