*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'Pilgrimage to Zanarkland'

djpretzel

Hello. This is my first submission, so i hope this is all correct....

Username: Kanjika

My Real name: Jonathan Beil

Email: kanjika@gmail.com

Userid: 22091

Games remixed - Final Fantasy 10

Songs remixed - To Zanarkand

Comments : I think this is one of the best songs ive done in terms of sound quality. I tried to make everything sound as realistic as i could. I heard a remix of this on OCR and i really liked the way it sounded so i figured id give it a try, and i really didn't expect it to get this far! I did all of this by ear since i couldnt find a good original (except piano versions). This was seqenced in FL using Garritan orchestral strings for most of the Violin/Viola Parts, EWQLSO Silver for low strings, some backgorund string work, the French horns and precussion, Garritan Personal orchestra for woodwinds, and VOTA for chiors. The Solo Violin/Trumpet are done with Synful Orchestra.

That's quite a library of sounds you have. 8O

Anyway, the sounds are good but the arrangement is pretty boring. Nothing really happens. It's a lot of instruments playing the melody in unison over sustained chords. I'll admit there are some nice bits, but overall, I think you need work work more on concurrently running ideas like countermelody and harmonic support, rather than relying on pretty samples to convey emotion.

Needs more.

NO

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFX_psf2.rar - 102 "In Zanarkand"

I've heard of Kanjika; played an original of his on VGF a few weeks ago. Certainly shows some talent, but needs more time.

The sounds good, sure, and you've rattled off a list of what assume are some phat samples, but this is basically an orchestral mock-up piece. It takes some minor turns in the "arrangement", but this was extremely conservative; basically a cover most of the way with different samples and some changes in the structure of the support instruments. Nothing innovative here when taking into account the complete package presented. You gotta be more, bro. You know what I'm talking about. Interpret more. Create more. Be more.

NO

I am well familiar with these sounds, so I do know hard work and talent was placed in order to make this. This is apparent, and in some respects impressive.

Where the mix falters as far as the OCR standards is arrangement. For the most part, the mix sounds like an orchestrated mock up version of the original, with interspersed sections of new material thrown in at the beginning, middle and ending parts. The majority of the mix still follows the original closely, and as such is a conservative mix in my book.

Keep at it, your Enemy Stronghold piece as well as this mix shows a lot of talent. Even with such samples, it's not easy at all to get these quality results from a production perspective.

Great orchestral mock up, yes; not so great OCR arrangement. The production and usage of sounds is certainly there. The crescendo at the end was very impressive. I did have some minor gripes with the attacks of the solo violin, it sounded way too strong for most of the passages.

What you gotta do next time is mix it up more, play with the material more to make it your own, change the structure or form of the mix, expand the melody or harmony more, add more elements, or change the tempo. Something to demonstrate more creativity in the arrangement department.

NO