Sonic "Generations"? Hmm . . .

RECKENEFIN

I played the demo a couple of days ago. The last Sonic game I played was Sonic & Knuckles. I found the demo very disappointing. Not that the level was bad or the gameplay was in any way problematic; actually, the opposite was true. Why, then, was it disappointing? Because it's like shoving something in Sonic fans' collective faces and saying, "See? We clearly were capable of doing it right all these years! But guess what, bitches! This level is the best thing the game has to offer!"

So in other words, this demo is disappointing not because it is in any way flawed, but because no matter how optimistic you are, deep inside you just know they'll find a way to screw it up in the finished product. All they really have to do is replicate what Retro did with Donkey Kong last year in the Sonic world. It really doesn't seem very complicated, and yet somehow it always becomes an issue.

i played the demo and i just don't care anymore. i been played sonic games since i was a kid and the demo is a BIGGER step in the right direction then sonic 4 but it's not enough to make me buy another $60 dollar game

another? You mean, you've been buying them all? ;)

I stopped buying Sonic games after Sonic Adventure... till Sonic Colours came out. It may not have been a pure throwback to Sonic, but I'll confess, I enjoyed it a lot. Just played the demo for Generations, and I'm almost impressed. If this is as close to the old-type gameplay that Sonic Team can get, then I'm fine with that, because it feels pretty damned good. My biggest issues are the frame rate and the resolution. For all the gorgeousness of the art, it's hard to see a damn thing because it seems to be running at a lower clip than 30fps, which really, given what's on show, isn't right. Especially since it doesn't even look like it's running at 720p. I do realize that it's an early demo, but still.

I'm all for Generations, because other than that, the demo shows a lot of promise. But if the frame rate issues aren't sorted out, I may have to plump for the PC version...