Sonic 2 - Aquatic Ruin Zone

Dr Shankums

Hello there, my first time around here! I recently started doing a series of covers from the sonic series. It's something I've wanted to do since playing the sonic games on my genesis with my friends back in elementary school.

Here is my cover.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/412160

Here is the source

I didn't change too much except for the rhythm of the bass in the verse. I would like to think I'm finished but I can't help but think that the track sounds "empty", like I'm missing something.

I like what you have so far. The guitar tone is clean and it's a nice straightforward cover :]

For remixing, I would suggest maybe after going through one verse in a cover, maybe you can start mixing it up. Maybe do some soloing over the modes of the tune, or borrow one of the mini-themes and do something with that. Also maybe you could throw in a few more instruments into the mix for texture.

I'd like to point you over to "Walk on Water" by Housethegrate, another sonic remix with some great guitar, maybe you can get some ideas.

Good luck with the mix :<

Why do I get the impression that if you replaced the electric guitar with a mexican-style acoustic you'd make an awesome salsa mix?

Anyways...as the two previous posters explained, the mix sticks with the source completely, and OCR expects some solos and variety in the mix. I would suggest a guitar solo with simply the drum cymbals in the background.

You're right. Personally I don't like when covers deviate too far from the source but I suppose I should try to do something. I've got some cool things in mind as far as mixing in some new themes. As for more instruments, that's probably what the fix for the empty feeling is. Thanks for the suggestions.

XD I do hear the bass, but I think it sounds fine ;P

Yea, I'm not sure if that's what they meant by emptiness, but what you've basically done was upgrade the instruments of the track. Nothing else has been added to spice it up, but I think that's okay if you're actually doing a cover. Still, how about some brass, more drums articulations, a bit of variation in the melody on the second part?