DragonAvenger

Remixer name: Ampson

Email: bryhiga@gmail.com

Userid: 43415

Name of games arranged: Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2

Original Music Titles: "Suicide Mission" & "Uncharted Worlds"

Composed by: Jack Wall, Sam Hulick

Remix Title: "Suicide Watch"

Hey judges! I've been a long time listener of OC Remix ever since the early years but recently decided to work up my production skills and start submitting to the site. When decided which game I wanted to use music from to remix, I looked up Mass Effect and its sequel and was shocked that there were only a couple entries for them. So I decided to show some love for the series.

I took a couple of my favorites from the series ("Suicide Mission" & "Uncharted Worlds") and experimented intertwining their themes and motifs all while adding my own flavor to the mix. Hope you guys like it!

Source:

- Suicide Mission http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpu5cTk_qvI - Uncharted Worlds

-Bryan

Love the arrangement here, you've combined the two sources pretty well here. Uncharted Worlds is used pretty subtly, which works well for it in this context. The style otherwise isn't too different from Suicide Mission, but you've added your own personal flair to it, as well as some different instrumentation. Liking it on this end of things.

Production is pretty good, although I've got a few nitpicks. The balance of different instruments is mostly good, but I think there could be some tweaking. The piano comes in a bit loud at the beginning, for example, and the lead guitar after it. I also felt like some instruments were panned a little too hard for headphones, and could use just a touch more centering.

Quite nice, and I love me some epic music mixin's.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Lead guitar is definitely loud and harsh, frequency-wise, but I really like the arrangement ideas here. The combination of the orchestra backing with some minor electronic parts and the guitars is really nice, and overall I am really feeling the track.

I do think the guitars need to be EQ'ed a bit so they aren't as piercing. Otherwise, this is creative, and a good use of source.

Yes (conditional)

• 1 month later...

those drums sounded pretty muffled to me, and the constant hi-hat patterns were a little distracting, but I imagine that's a personal gripe. agreed with the others that the guitar is just a tad overcooked. otherwise the instrumentation was great. I love the tone of your piano. the various glitching/stretching was well-applied too.

I'll go with OA on scooping the guitar a bit, since everyone has mentioned it to some degree. overall, a very cool mix!

YES(conditional)

Hmm, I guess I'm not as sold on this one from a production standpoint as my fellow judges. The mixing is off in several places: piano at :06 is too loud as well as the guitar that follows. Halc mentioned it briefly, but the drums sound way muffled - like they're playing from behind a wall. The only real distinct elements getting through from the drums are the occasional hihats and cymbal crashes.

Orchestra, while seemingly loud enough in general, is also pretty indistinct. At 1:41 the orchestra comes in quite loud and starts interfering with everything else; lots of clutter here and even distortion at 2:06. Same at 3:06, every time the cymbals hit, you can hear them distorting in the soundfield.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ideas you've put in here and I can hear a ton of potential here. Just need to have the execution tightened up. To sum up: get things mixed so all the elements play nice together, see if you can get some more clarity in the drums, and maybe even orchestra (some high end eq boost on strings and maybe scoop some mids from your brass).

Really looking forward to hearing this one again.

No, resubmit please

• 1 month later...

What's up with the drums, bro? :( Justin's right, there's something up with your EQ on the kick and snare; sounds really muffled and sort of kills any impact they could be having in terms of lending energy to the piece.

Arrangement is fantastic, but I think you ought to revisit your approach to the percussion. It lacks definition and turns into a mushy jumble.

Really want to have this piece on the site. Let's get some production fixes and a resub. NO

Wow, this is an awesome arrangement. You've got the power of the orchestra, and the badassity of electric guitar and glitch. Add in a gentle acoustic breakdown and this has it all. Really stunning work. It pains me to agree with pretty much every production criticism mentioned so far. The guitar is piercing and overpowers the backing, the panning is too far to the sides, the drums are too muffled. I don't think I can quite call this a conditional much as I'd like to - the mixing problems will take a little bit of effort. But please please please resubmit this one.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Instead of the guitar and piano being too loud, I'd say the drums are too quiet. Whatever. Same issue. There are definitely some level issues. I'd also say the piano is a bit thin and dry. Most of the time I'm struggling to hear the string parts or something else in the back that I feel is probably really well-written, but is buried in the mix.

Great arrangement, but you've got to sort out the levels.

NO

• 2 weeks later...