*NO* Lunar 'Fading Soul v3'

djpretzel

Greetings.

Yes, I'm back to drive you guys nuts yet again.

This is a remix of "Empty Burg" from the Sega CD game Lunar: The Silver Star. Called "Fading Soul v3", basically what I tried to do was expand on the mood of the original and, in a way, complete it. See, the original song is about one minute and fourteen seconds long. It cuts off in a weird spot at about one minute and fifteen seconds in. I always liked the song, and felt it deserved an ending. So, I decided to take the solemn mood of the original, expand on part of the original, and then add new material to give the song an ending. I also tried to make it sound a little bit better than the "v2" I currently have on VGMix (hence, the "v3"). Whether I succeeded or not...

Anyway, here's the info...

Remix Title: Fading Soul v3

Game: Lunar: The Silver Star

System: Sega CD

Game Maker: GameArts, translated by Working Designs

Remixer: The Coop

Original Composer: Noriyuki Iwadare

Bit rate: 160kb/s

Length of Remix: 2:35

Length of Original song: 1:15

E-Mail: arforfaborb@rcn.com

Finally, here's a link to my remix...

... and one to a low bit rate version of the original song...

Thanks for taking the time to listen, and I hope you enjoy it.

-- The Coop

I remember this song from the PSX game. The problems here are low sample quality of the piano and strings - in an instrumental with no more than three instruments, their thinness is particularly sore - and a shortage of development, where a short, somber song was pushed along with some embellishment but could have been taken even further to make a complete arrangement, instead of one that leaves the original intact and just fills in a few holes.

Nice ending though.

NO

Whoa, I happen to have what I think is the first version of this song.

Anyway, the piano is really bright and doesn't fit the mood of the song at all. Something darker would fit the soundscape much better; also, it's quite mechanical sounding. Needs more humanization as a piano mix for OCR.

Arrangement is pretty good, but not enough to pull the mechanical piano past the bar.

NO

None of the Lunar: Silver Star album information I could find even mentioned the original aside from this crud: http://mes-cd.com/detail.asp?s=COTATEL71684&c=16. (It's not the track "Burg" from other versions of the Lunar: SSS & Lunar SSS Complete soundtracks. What album is "Empty Burg" from?)

The piano sample here was a MUCH weaker sample than in the clip of the original you provided, Matt. That was just a total downgrade. The arrangement was decent, but it needs more time to develop and you just gotta up the game on these samples. The piano & strings here sound way too synthetic. Expand the piece more and up the sound/sample quality.

NO

This is the "Sad Piano theme."

Main problems, samples are ok. Production and usage of the samples are decent. The arrangement in the first half is sorta conservative. The second part is really great on the other hand.

I'm a bit torn. I want to yes this and gum up the works, but we really need to see something more from coop as an evolution in arrangement, complexity, or production. I don't really feel even after all this years this matches his Altered Beast mix. Still, I quite enjoyed this, but it needs more polish and work. Coop hit me up with a pm, maybe we can collab on this? Very borderline NO.