*NO* Mega Man 3 'Mega Man vs. Raveman'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman3.zip - Track 1

Same old, same old cover stuff until some slight variation comes in at 1:27 finally. Same old, same old cover stuff again at 1:57 until 2:33. Same old, same old cover stuff again at 2:57 until 3:46, but with a minimalist approach until 3:33.

Retreads the intro with different sounds at 3:46. I bet you thought increasing the intensity at 4:33 was a great idea. [shrugs]

Same old, same old Megaman techno coverage. No risks. No real interpretation. Boring. Couldn't get any "safer" on this coverage without actually ripping a MIDI.

NO

Eek! When all those synths come in, it sounds really messy. The sounds themselves are nice, but they're all too similar; they need some distinction, at least.

As for the arrangement, it's way too straightforward for what we're looking for here at OCR. This follows the original pretty closely. Needs more interpretation and originality than just your typical genre-adapation. Try for more diversity in your sounds, cleaner percussion, and an overhauled arrangement with focus on changing up the musical ideas.

This is a rave mix, but it doesn't make me what to break out my glowsticks or photon lights at all man.

NO

The other judges covered the issues here, particularly Binnie. This is too straightforward. Most of the time this feels like an upgrade of the original only. Make the arrangement your own. The mix is too long, I say condense it and focus on the meat of the mix. It tends to go on without enough hooks. For this genre, hooks are key. This isn't bad, but it's pretty generic and the lack of arrangement values and creativity make this a NO.