*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Hyrulian Legend'

djpretzel

Hello, I'm Casey Ayers of AdvancedMN.com. I've recently made an arrangement of the Zelda main theme, combined with the "Gerudo Desert" theme and a cameo by Samus Aran. I used only Garageband to make this, along with my Yamaha P120 Digital Stage Piano. The Apple Loops make mixing a joy and very easy.

I made the whole mix from scratch in two hours.

Thanks!

-Casey Ayers

--

Casey Ayers

casey@advancedmn.com

Advanced Media Network

Editorial Content Director

AdvancedMN.com

That's not the Zelda main theme; it's the Legend theme from Wind Waker.

Okay, there it is. The melody is really way too quiet, and that hand percussion drumloop is way too loud and really repetitive. That deep hit sound you keep using is annoying after the first...two times.

In sum, the melody is too damn quiet throughout the piece, and those percussion loops are overused. Not much substance to the arrangement at all. Pretty weak overall.

NO

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - (103) The Legendary Hero

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 68 "Gerudo Valley"

Sounds were REALLY quiet. The organ opening was boring and dragged for way too long. Sounds were thin as hell and not much was going on. I liked the hand drums, but that was about it. The melody on the synth plucked strings was excessively dry and took no creative approach with the Legendary Hero/Zelda melody. Man, there really was nothing to this. Organ, hand drums, strings & occasional drums, and the track STILL sounds really empty.

We hit the Gerudo theme at 2:27. Still very uncreative. Really sparsely mixed and not interpretive at all on either theme. Gotta agree with DS's flat assessment of the track. Boring, uncreative, repetitive. I bleh on it.

NO

Hmm, this medley isn't very fluid. The arrangement is very sparse and simple. Your loop and percussion dominates the mix. Often the percussive booms/hits are vastly louder than the entire mix. The harmony and melody is so subdued and quiet. I'm used to quiet music in the classical genre, but this is overboard. There's not much dynamics here either. Production on the whole is pretty plain. There's not much effects processing, attention paid to the arrangement, levels, mixing, and mastering.

This needs a lot more work. Garageband is capable of far more than this. Keep working at it next time.

NO