Your real name - Alex Roe

Your email address - roea14@yahoo.co.uk

Your website -

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/roetaka/index.html

Your userid - OCR17699

Name of game ReMixed - Goldeneye 007

Name of individual song ReMixed - Runway

Comments

This was one of those heat of the moment kind of things. I don't know why I'm so attracted to remix goldeneye but it jsut has such a possesive feel about it. The runway level got to me in a different way. I had the idea of something slow, there's heat but, it's very atmospheric as if to be sided about whether you should run away with me (cheesy I know). But I stayed simple to this, kept to pretty much the chords and little melody and gave a slow progression, alternating instruments for different leading melodies. I've had reasons to change how this sounds but to be honest, this feels as complete as I want it to be. Something in the way the sounds somewhat connect and somewhat dont, its not very noticeable but it creates a little feedback listening. I don't believe in a perfect song so this fits nicely to me. But that's enough talking, thanks.

http://www.zophar.net/usf/ge64usf.rar - 103 Runway

Pretty chill. Not quite there yet, but loads of potential. Interesting opening with such an unassuming keyboard there. The very artificial sound of the string samples (incredibly exposed there at :24-:25) may be purposeful, but their lack of realism and warmth hurt the piece.

I think the guitar synth (in at :34) could use a fuller tone, but, while not sounding particularly realistic, is decent enough to work within the big picture. Someone'll disagree there. The piano synth that joined in at :58 was a great touch but sounds pretty artifical as well. Sounds like the velocities on each note are the same throughout the track.

The percussion work was a little heavy on the high end for my taste, but since the bassline was a bit subdued (punch it up a little), the percussion work had to fill out most of the space. A little plodding there, but it's actually pretty laid back and gave off a good vibe.

Those little guitar strums at 2:27 were pretty sweet. Really liking the arrangement ideas here a hell of a lot. Mix isn't even over and I know I'll be keeping this.

Keyboard stuff at 3:35 was a little too much of a minimalist breakdown there, especially with the sudden loud return of the strings and percussion at 3:46. Might wanna add something light in the background for that brief section so the contrast isn't so jarring.

As things slowed down at 4:43 for the ending, the keyboard definitely got exposed quite a bit, along with the timing feeling just a bit off. It sounded pretty weak attempting to carry the finish.

Really cool shit so far, Alex. I'm loving the arrangement, but the handling of the samples needs to be refined for more of a humanized touch as the velocities sound the same for most of the instruments in play. You're pretty close, IMO, and I absolutely want to see a resubmission. Check out the criticisms, think over whatever you feel would improve the piece for yourself, and get whatever help you can get. I hope this isn't the last I've heard of this one.

NO (resubmit)

There is something decidedly mechanical about this whole piece, which makes everything come off as lifeless and robotic. It's most likely the fact that all of the melodic lines are pretty flatline in terms of velocity. Drums also sound very separated from the rest of the mix, particularly the open hat sound. Bassline should be more defined too.

The arrangement is not bad, but it feels like it's plodding along and doesn't feel like it goes anywhere.

NO

Whoooo yeah, this sounds great. Arrangement is super, only thing I would like to see is a little more dynamic expression in terms of the instruments, sort of repeating what has already been said. That's the main issue for me. A little more reverb in those drums perhaps as well?

I don't like to pitpick, but this could be awesome (ahhh Americanism!) if you just tweaked the velocities a little in some places.

NO

Please resubmit

Parts of this reminded me of .mod songs in the way that its melody is structured, slowly moving from pattern to pattern. Intro's electric piano and strings sounds very awkward, especially the slight tempo change. A slowed progression is fine, but with such a flatline dynamic, there's no advantage of not using the energy and movement from the original. Introduce builds, swells, dips, stepmaster 2000's, etc.

Percussion and bassline are dry, stiff, feel separated from the rest of the song, and mostly just repeat. They need to be improved so they can serve as a solid foundation for the song.

With more attention to dynamics and pacing, this could be much better.

NO