*NO* NiGHTS into dreams... 'Celebration'

djpretzel

Oooh, how I wanted to submit this after my FFX-2 remix has been reviewed and what not, but after waiting 2 months for it to be on the judges panel, and waiting to week for it to be judged...and still waiting for it to be judge, I've decided to submit this anyways.

# Your ReMixer name: Skrypnyk

# Your real name: Andrew Skrypnyk

# Your email address: Adept_Mercenary@hotmail.com

# Your website: http://www.soundclick.com/skrypnyk/

# Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 10626

# Name of game ReMixed: NiGHTS Into Dreams...

# Songs Title: NiGHTS Into Dreams... - Celebration Remix

# Link:

# Comments: I created this remix in celebration of the new year, And...that's it. Plus there's next to none NiGHTS remixes out there, so there's an added bonus.

The groove is certainly jubilicious, and the instrumentation is functional. unfortunately the mallets play a few bad notes (i.e. :11)

furthermore, there dynamics are completely flat until 1:45.

Further into the song more bad notes present themselves. it seems the effort in this mix went into the groove and the instruments, while the composition falls flat.

NO

Can't figure out what this is mixing from the NiGHTS soundtrack, since I'm not overly familiar with it. Certainly carries some of that vibe here though. From the looks of your VGMix release comments, Andy, it looks like you're done with this one, so I'll just make/iterate some basic points.

Vig, per his usual, nailed most of the salient points:

-this lacked dynamic contrast the whole way through

-the composition/arrangement was very plain & somewhat repetitive

-the mallets were playing some bad notes (didn't affect me too badly, but I definitely heard them)

-the sounds/samples were generally weak (punch them up with more processing/effects)

-the production was also way too muffled and messy; sharpen up the sounds and create a better balance amongst your foreground and background elements

It's not terrible, but, at the same time, this would need a ton of work to get it in any kind of shape. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised the production was this poor given that your FFX-2 mix was released before this one at VGMix. Perhaps this was an older project. In any case though, definitely apply yourself more on future stuff. Looking forward to the next submission.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what there's to add that the others haven't already mentioned. I especially agree with the mallets hitting bad notes, that Vig mentioned. They stick out like a sore thumb.

I should note though that some electronic genres don't depend much on composition per se but rather focus on sound design and groove.

Main issue in this mix for me is the production. The levels are all over the map. Everything sounds fuzzy. There's no sheen at all as far as the frequency spectrum (other than the sharper synth bell). Ending is a bit abrupt/unsatisfying.

I'd say the arrangement here is better than your last mix on the panel, but the production certainly isn't. Keep at it Andrew, you show promise. I enjoyed this, so I hope you consider resubmitting this. NO

Too much reverb on the percussion, particularly the kick. Don't make it sound like it's being played at a rave; make it sound like it would sound nice if you played it at a rave.

Sounds don't really mesh well, the balance is really off. Some weird note choices here and there too. This kind of song doesn't really work if you use a lot of chromatic lines and/or blue notes. Stay diatonic.

Needs more clarity, better mastering, and better composition choices.

Not bad, but NO all the same.