Legend of Dragoon - Crystal Palace (Cinematic/Dark version)

Hey Sir Dracula! :grin:

That's a nice mysterious mood you've got in there, I suppose I could expect something like this for your actual transylvanian status? :P

I really like the glockenspiel writing on this, and that section at 1:36-1:58 is delicious, even more when the marimba spices it up!

On the production side, it feels like your low-end's a bit hot. I hear some distortion and muddiness during many parts of the track, mainly on the crowded sections. Maybe you could shave some db from the low-end on the master track EQ, and probably take away some unneeded frequencies on the instruments for a cleaner sound?

The running violins are a great touch, but they're too panned to the left and there's issue with velocity in some notes - sometimes they're TOO loud.

I can recognize the source well in your track though, and I love the way you interpret it ;D

I like it overall! Some fixes on those issues and I think you're fine, but I'd wait for the others to comment about something else I haven't mentioned ^^

been a while dude, how you been? yeah man as for this. It definitely sounds dark, something you would hear in the movies. maybe its just me but it sounds kinda muddy on the lows, and through certain parts of the song I can hear a "ssssssss" sound like you upped the highs on a certain instrument to much. other than that it sounds awesome man, hope it gets through.

• 1 month later...

Mixing could be beefed up quite a bit here. There's a lot of mud, as has been said. I would look up some guides on how to mix orchestras, as I'm sure they exist (google is your friend here, also will require some dedicated time to read). What you have is pretty good, but to really get those emotions you're seeking to evoke, you'll have to step up the game with mixing and processing. And I wish you luck because even I am still an amateur when it comes to orchestral mixing!

That said, your low end is pretty hot, and should be brought back a bit. For orchestras, a powerful low rumble can compromise the integrity of the rest of the mix, because of the niche frequency positions of each set of instruments. Your high end is still easily audible, but as things start to get into the mids it becomes meshed with the lows and the impact of those instruments is reduced.

As far as source tune usage, I THINK you're alright but a source breakdown would be a life-saver here.

and sorry for the delay in mod response.