*NO* Shining Force 3 'Shinin n' the Ghetto'

djpretzel

Hey Djpretzel and Judges!

It's my first submission to the site, I had some trouble with the ID3v2 tags, but I think I've done them fine (or at least most of it).

Remixer Name: Red Tailed Fox

Name of ReMix: Shinin n' The Ghetto

Name of Game: Shining Force 3

Here is the link to the original (MIDI):

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/saturn/SF3Intro.mid

And the link to the ReMix:

Comments:

This is a trip hop / hip hop arregment of the Intro Theme of Shining Force 3. It was suposed to sound like Portishead but it is much less moody then their work, coming closer to heavy hip hop songs...

Shining Force 3 has always been my favorite RPG, and it never got the attention it deserved, as Squaresoft (ahem, Chrono Trigger... FF series) usually gets all the love. Anyway, hope you like it!

Couldn't find any telltale sign of the source tune amidst the VGM FTPs I normally check out, so thanks for including the MIDI.

Was waiting for something to take hold during the intro. Finally got some beats in at :42. The mix lacks a bit in the high-end frequencies, but that's probably just personal taste. The percussion & bass work were both pretty sedate sounding.

I hear the attempt at "ghetto," but I live in one, and I'm not feelin' it here. There was no real presence or sharpness in the sounds. The trip-hop influence was certainly there, but it felt like the track meandered and plodded along. The source melody was pretty spartan in its usage until 2:26-2:46 switched to a piano solo-type section.

Things picked up at 3:22, but we got some um...odd...notes choices until 3:32, then more of the same old groove from before with some slight additions. The string usage at 4:02-4:26 sounded too artificial. Note-to-note dynamics were non-existent there. The performance generally came off as dull and monotonous, and that's not on account of the genre, as there is a lot of badass trip-hop out there. Keep at it, bro.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The synths and pads for starters don't sound very good in my opinion. Average sound design/synth design and execution on that part.

I agree with larry, this felt more monotonous for me than something to chill out on. I think this could use more instrumental and compositional elements.

I also feel things are rather dry. How about throwing some interesting processing like reverb and delays to help give it a dreamier soundscape?

The mix just keeps on going, until the better parts of the mix started to shine through at the end. I think you started getting into the groove of this by that point, but by then it was a bit too late for me.

Clipping issues like at 3:14 are also present.

Okay arrangement. Decent production values/processing. Needs more ghettofabulousness at this stage. NO

• 1 month later...

what the hell is up with those ugly string things somewhere in the back? they sound terrible. the attack isnt nearly fast enough.

generally, the groove isnt very tight, akward notes and rhythms plague the harmony instruments. in addition to that, the arrangement is fairly monotonous.

screws just need to be tightened.

NO