*NO* Killer Instinct 'Chiller Instinct'

djpretzel

Email sub file Chiller Instinct.mp3 - djp

Attached is Killer Instinct Theme Remix MP3

Remixer Name: Vitus

Email: Mgormly@uvm.edu

Website: www.purevolume.com/vitus (Vitus Original Mp3s here)

Remix Info:

Name of Game Remixed: Killer Instinct

Individual Song Remixed: Main Theme

Name of Remix: Chiller Instinct

Comments: I essentially tried to give this song the "Aphex Twin" treatment.

Trying to take kind of an industrial rocker and making it into ambient house.

Cool yes?

--

First thing I notice is that the kick is really loud in this mix. Textures and pads sound really mono and there are parts where I can hear it all clipping.

This beat just goes on and on and on, which is especially noticeable seeing as the beat is so prominent. There isn't much going on in this mix, and there is a complete lack of instrument placement - panning/stereo reverb please! This mix had no dynamics at all, just the bit at the end where the drums were taken away, and that was the ending.

I would recommend using the wip boards and some more practice, you definitely need to make your mixes less repetitive.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ki.rsn - "Main Theme" (ki-01.spc)

The opening pad was so distant and muddy, the production on it was horrible. The electrosynth beats were on cruise control and provided next-to-no variation. Malc pretty much broke it down, so all his comments might as well be my own. The arrangement was very uninspired. Well, everything was very uninspired. Not much else to say. It's not terrible, but it just needs a lot more work to get to any genuine level of quality & creativity.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I have to disagree with my judge compatriots over here. I have to say I loved this. It's an interesting arrangement and one that I found extremely enjoyable. BUT...

The main gripe I have here, is that annoying kick/bass drum, it goes on and on and is so repetitive, not to mention extremely loud and way too powerful. It's causing major clipping/distortion/audio issues throughout the mix! Fix this.

Otherwise, this mix may not have the most sophisticated processing, or production but it's just a very intriguing listen. I could lose myself in the warmth of the synth/pad strings. Please consider resubmitting this and fix the main issues the mix has.

NO

Pads are bleeding together. NOT GOOD! Needs more definition, at least. Kick is too loud, the percussion is repetitive. This is a really boring arrangement too. It's not much more than pyramiding lines together; unforunately the whole stack of sounds comes out sounding as thick as molasses, and muddy to boot.

Instruments need more contrast for separation. It's all a mish-mash right now. I love warm pads, but they need to be utilized a lot better than this to be effective.

NO