*NO* Final Fantasy Legend 'Legend of the Saxes' *FT*

Liontamer

Hey Larry -

I submitted this a a few months ago, then again at the end of January. I'm assuming it didn't make it, based on the current load on the queue (beginning of February, right?)

This is an arrangement of the Final Fantasy Legend main theme. I arranged it for four to six saxophones (basically an Alto/Alto/Tenor/Baritone sax, if you care). All parts were recorded by me, and I recorded it all straight up and blind - no pitch processing or anything. I recorded each just with the MIDI that I made of the song, without listening to each individual part. The pitch turned out pretty good as it was. I tried to do it in the same style as a song by a vocal jazz concert called Acapella, for what its worth. There are a few parts where the parts switch up and I add a part here or there...I just recorded the little section and added it in.

I used M-Audio Pre-amps, some studio mikes from the recording studio at my college, and Audacity for the basic sequencing. Fruity for the reverb. If y'all care, I used a Selmer Super Balanced Action 80 Alto Sax, Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax, and a Yamaha Pro Edition Gold Baritone Saxophone. You guys have the chiptune on your site, I believe. The composer was Uematsu.

One note about the song - every set of songs that I've heard from this game doesn't include this song. The song is the Opening theme - the main screen song. Its also the main theme for Legend II and III. I've got a MIDI that I sequenced from the game, if that will help, and I can rip an mp3 from the sound test if you guys want it.

Anything else, please feel free to ask.

Credit this song to the Prophet of Mephisto. That is my ID on the forums, as well. My website is at www.soundclick.com/theprophetofmephisto. Props to the crew at Remix Affiliates for their help on this song. The name of the song is 'Legend of the Saxes'.

BRAD BURR

aka the Prophet of Mephisto

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/ffl1.zip - Track 1

I remember the source tune from way back when I got into the scene and started doing radio, since it was the source tune choice for IMC5, which featured some really good tracks from guys like analoq & aluminum.

The sax work didn't sound terribly fake, but it also didn't come across as exceptionally authentic-sounding either. The performance was supposed to sound chill and laid-back but instead ended up sounding very sluggish. I heard light pops/audio deformations at points. Gotta eliminate those, but nothing was a big bother there. The arrangement showed some significant reinterpretation more in the second half, which was good. I certainly liked the ideas there.

Interesting light jazz kind of vibe, though I don't believe all of the elements combined well. The various brass support work sounded really improvised yet meandering at times. The whole track seemed to lack any focused direction as a result. The lead needed to be punched up to provide something for the listener to latch onto. As it stands, everything layered together at basically the same volume/intensity and just mudded together. The ending had a resolution, but it came across as too sudden and undeveloped. Promising ideas, Brad, but there's loads of stuff to work on in you wanna achieve a cohesive, spirited, and focused end-result.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The FFL series has a pretty under-appreciated and under-remixed soundtrack, and this theme in particular is one of my favorites from it. I think one thing you nailed here for certain was the arrangement - there's lots of cool ideas going on in the melodic and harmonic variations. However, I think the implementation and production could use some work as they pale in comparison to the outstanding interpretation. As Larry mentioned, the saxes themselves don't sound all that great, and there are problems with the audio sound. You might consider processing each sax line individually too, eg. giving the lead more volume, less reverb, different EQ, something to make it stand out more. Also, I would not have minded the inclusion of at least SOME other instrument, or even percussion - as it stands, it sounds just a little bare. Finally, there ARE some audio glitches in here that I am hoping you have heard, and those really could use some fixing.

Please rework this and resub. It's got a lot of potential. NO

YEAH BUDDY I love the source tune on this one. I suggested this for the source tune waaaaay back during IMC5 and participated myself. Nice choice.

As for the mix, it's a very cool concept, arranging for sax ensemble. It's a cool arrangement with some really good harmonic ideas too. I think though, that the execution is a bit lacking. There's some odd timing issues with the way the melody is interpreted; some rushing eighth notes and stuff. Also, the way everything is mixed together sounds kind of lifeless. I think you should seriously get a bunch of players together and record all at once, rather than playing everything yourself, because then players can interact with each other and balace the sound on the fly. You'll get a cleaner sound.

I love the concept; don't change it. Work on your execution, and a little bit of arrangement to take advantage of dynamics.

I really really really really want to see a resubmit on this, because this song deserves coverage, and a concept like this is too good to let alone.

NO

PS: Larry, although saxophones are made of brass, they are not considered 'brass' instruments, but woodwinds; this is because they are played using a wooden reed, as opposed to the metal mouthpiece used to play brass instruments like trumpets, french horns, trombones, euphoniums, baritone horns, tubas, etc.

Pops/audio related issues instantly jumped out at me, and were slightly annoying. Obviously perfect, pristine recording and production isn't necessarily a requirement, but there's enough issues in this part alone to warrant resubmission.

The arrangement itself is pretty nice, and I love the concept of the piece. With more execution, dynamics and fixing up of the issues already mentioned above, this would be in a better position to pass. I would also suggest more clever usage of a colored reverb to help give it a dreamier aspect. (You don't want it too dry or too wet, but I think sax is one instrument that can get away with more reverb or delay than usual)

NO, please resub.