*NO* Ridge Racer 'Happy Racer 3ooo'

djpretzel

Hello! My name is Ricardo, a live in Venezuela, for a long time that I know OverclokedRemix Web, (very good site!! ^^), well, my main style is the Hardcore, I like much this genre..in special the following ones: Gabber, Happy Gabber, Rotterdam, Speedcore, Makina, Happy Hardcore & Rave, I am a follower of these styles. having as main influences the groups of Djs Namco Megaten (Ridge Racer 1, 2, Rave Racer), also: Naoki, N.A.R.D, Dj Simon, RAM, Dj Nagureo, QUADRA , and others Djs

Well, I hope that they enjoy my Remix/Song ^^! excuse any error in my writing, greetings from Venezuela ^^! C-ya

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name: LoKoTaKu {Dj DeEp SkY}

Your real name: Ricardo

Your email address: lokotaku3002@hotmail.com

Your website: http://www.lokotakumusic.4d2.net &nbs p; you can find the remix in my Web (main zone)

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums:

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Ridge Racer

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Happy Racer 3ooo

Additional information about game: Ridge Racer (PSX) Year 1993-1994, Music by: Namco Megaten: Sanodg, Aya and others (Gabber, Hardcore, Rave, Happy Gabber and House), the original song "Ridge Racer" it is of style: Jazzy/Dance/House

Link to the original soundtrack: Soon it will try to upload a short version in my Web

Your own comments about the mix:: I like the old Hardcore style ^^ (in special Happy Gabber, and Rotterdam), with this Song/Remix attempt to revive a little this old genre, since at the moment it is listened to very little

• 3 weeks later...

Where to start? I don't think the vocal phrases add anything here, the same thing over and over just sounds distracting to me. I also think is a bit over EQ'd, particularly in the treble department.

Arrangement and composition just sounds too loose. There's really no direction here. It's just trying to sound cool, but I don't think it works.

Production is problematic too, some of it sounds decent, some of it sounds very generic FL. Drums make everything sounds too cruchy as well.

This needs a lot of work. Spend time exploring the source material, thinking up ways to make more of an impactful concept, and work on executing it. Synth programming/design would be helpful also. I just don't feel the sounds mesh too well. Keep at it. NO

As Xelebes is one of the more knowledgeable people in this community on this genre, I've asked him as a guest judge to comment on this mix.

I agree with what the judges have said on the mix. The vocals don't really have any purpose in there - they're just overused samples being chopped up, repeated and thrown in - oh and pitched up. Not really all that impressive to the audience. The arrangement is rather drab, the synth programming is particularily weak and mastering does need help.

Alright, I hear the distorted kicks, they're kinda ok. When producing gabber kicks, I often will layer between 2 to 5 kicks on top of each other and then boost up the overdrive and up the bass. Or I will use a SID chip or YM chip emulator and produce kicks using those with an overrdrive on top and a hard trance kick to give it an extra punch. Playing with the Band Pass filter before the distortion will give your kick that warping zoom sound.

With the synth programming, don't be afraid to use synths that sound a little trancey, you add a touch of distortion to give it that edge. Or you can try various methods like using the JBM Hoovermaker (free) to make your synths (play with the presets.) Or use a synthesizer that has FM or PWM and just have at it, play with the saws and squares until you get a nice big juicy synthline. Distortion, stereo enhancement and delay will be your friends. Don't be afraid of going New-Style either with a short breakdown and buildup. Just to give this song a little movement beyond sheer aggressiveness. Using automation on filters, trigger gates and delays will add a lot of depth (it seems you have used a bit of automation on the vocals with that delay at the end.)

Basslines. This track needs a bassline to fill up the sound - the kick may sound full but a bassline might help to give it an umph. No I am not suggesting you use a trance/hard house type bassline, just something in the baritone/tenor range to really roar under the lead line. Gabber can have pads too, as similar with your shots that you threw in there, it can add a bit of accents to the constant shifts in the feel of the music. Just be sparse with them and only use them in sections as to vary up the jumping around as what is gabber all about.

Mastering - the kicks need to be abit louder (but not overwhelming. Synths need more body to them (re: synth programming section.) and you just need to pay a little attention on the general sound quality on headphones and speakers.

Can't find the source anywhere unfortunately, so I'm just gonna have to go on the track alone. Don't wanna sound like I'm flatly against gabba-gabba-hey happy hardcore tracks, but this didn't have much to it, and felt pretty gimmicky.

The distorted beats and chopped up vocals sounded like a mess. Joined by some claps at :29, everything was still cluttered, until that crud finally dropped out at :35. From :35-:1:01 though, things were pretty sparse as the focus was mostly on the voice samples.

The same voice sample went on ad-nauseum from 1:08-1:25 & 1:32-1:54. Felt like much longer. The part at 1:55 with the beeps at the starting line & the cars revving up was like a shining beacon of light amidst a lot of confusion.

Nothing very melodic here, though that may not be something to expect in the genre, I wouldn't have any idea. Was still pretty monotone-ish if I'm not informally misusing the terminology. I'd be interested in the prospects of what a high-quality happy hardcore mix could yield, but this wasn't it. I'd be interested in hearing this one with stronger sounds, better production and less repetitive voice sampling.

NO

• 1 month later...

I think some of this mix is pretty cool; personally I don't mind the vocal samplage, as it's used rhythmically. But from what I've heard of gabber, it needs to be meatier. This song comes off as sounding pretty thin, and there definitely needs to be some more processing going on; this could go places.

NO, but I think that you can go somewhere with it. Keep trying!

I like a lot of what’s going on here. The vocal samples themselves really become instruments that I think are used relatively effectively. There are also some lightning fast panned swishes and trick reversed effects that keep things going. Nice.

For such a short mix, even of this genre, repetition is a bit much however. The transition at :27 was your chance to mix it up, but alas 'twas not to be. From 1:26-1:55 my right ear is feeling left out of the musical party. It would have been cool to have the main synth there pan across the soundstage or have some other counterbalance on the right.

Good production in general. Not bad overall and a fun listen, but a little less repetition or a longer and more varied mix would be much appreciated. NO.