ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Revenge of Shinobi

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Eternal Tears

Composer : Yuzo Koshiro

Year : 1989

Platform : Genesis

Copyrights : Sega

Comments:

This is the remix of My Lover song from the game. The Original song is very short so I decided to merge it with one of my own compositions. The end results are good. The two songs mixed in so efficiently as if they were one at the first place.

http://www.zophar.net/gym/rshinobi.rar - "My Lover"

Decent ideas, but the woodwind & string sample usage sounded unrealistic. Everything was soft yet indistinct. Your background/supporting elements were so quiet and flimsy that they didn't properly accentuate the track, and your leads also had a problem being too quiet, so the texture was really weak. The dynamics were also somewhat nonexistant; same percussion pattern and plodding groove going on for most of the 3 1/2 minutes.

Should have gotten some feedback from the Work-in-Progress & ReMixing forums first. You need to achieve better realism with your sample usage, create more dynamic background work that evolves along with the more important instrumentation, and achieve better balance amongst your sounds. Keep at it though, Mansoor. You show creativity in your arrangement work and genuine potential.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

This is nice! Upon closer examination I think more could be done with the actual arrangement as far as expansion. I like what you have here but you need to add more of your personal signature.

I completely disagree with larry on the plodding aspect. I think what you have here perfectly fits the chill aspect. I also don't really agree with larry's statement of the sequencing of the strings and flute. These are far from robotic or unrealistic in sequencing, especially considering the tools you probably used.

Now the main problems. The mixing and production isn't very good. Everything sounds pretty vanilla. You could use better use of reverb and eq to spice things up. To me there is no color in the tone here. I would use modulation of some form especially perhaps on the flute. Consider delays with modulation or colored reverbs with tail modulation. I would also make the flute stand out more.

Overall, Larry and I do agree on the key points of this mix. Creative but unpolished. Please consider resubmitting. I may even be interested in helping you out as I think this has a lot of potential to be realized. But for now, NO.

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem with this mix is that the sequencing is incredibly robotic, and there is no space.

the start/stop times of the notes are just too mechanical. the leads sound especially unnatural. all the notes are held all the way to the beginning of the next note, hence no space. There is never a point at which the lead isn't playing, even when the lead is a wind instrument.

further contributing to the unnatual sound is that the rhythms you choose in the rhythm and harmony sections are too simple. constant half notes on the strings and vox are boring.

NO

This is an excellent start; for some reason it really sounds like a Bollywood song from the 90s. ;)

But I have to agree with my fellow judges; it's mechanical sounding, and it's still lacking in the creative department. I'd like to see some more complexity here, particularly as Vig mentioned with the harmonic support.

Keep working on this, as it has the potential to be really awesome. NO (rework and resub please!)