*NO* Streets of Rage 'Elav8tor Motiv8tor'

djpretzel

email sub file Meganium - Elav8tor Motiv8tor [streets Of Rage] (OC ReMix).mp3

This is the house mix I've done for Round 7 on the first "Streets Of Rage".

It's 7m 40s long but the bitrate is 96k, so it's less than 6MB.

From Meganium.

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today!

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sor1.rar - Round 7 ("Up & Up")

The sounds were very default-ish. The texture was very sparse, yet there seemed to be a general level of reverb rather than individual parts being handled separately. Everything was pretty much at a loud volume level and fuller sections sounded crowded.

The source didn't intro until :58, but of course the mix had a long time to develop. Decent cover-style mix with altered rhythms. It's already pretty cool on account of being derived from such a sweet original track.

Get a switchup at 3:40, but the presentation was very flat and plain. About 5:30 in and things were retreading arrangement-wise. Decent ideas, but the sounds & productions are way below the bar, plus the arrangement would need to be more dynamic.

NO

7.40? Wow, that is long.

First thing that strikes me as odd is the eq. Either that or more likely the artifacts from such a low bitrate encoding.

The arrangement is lacking somewhat. It took about a minute and a half for me to get into what was going on, as the intro didn't draw me in and make me anticipate the main section.

3.12: This arpeggio pattern goes on for quite a bit, with a rather loud and annoying patch.

I could go into great detail, but at the end of the day it would boil down to 2 things: production quality and arrangement. This mix lacked in both departments. Great bassline, but that's about it.

NO

I don't understand the choice to make the first minute intro just a repetitive drum/groove section. I don't think it's good enough compositionally or technically to provide merit. Bass later comes in and plays along with the groove for a while, after even more time passing, electric piano joins the mix.

Where's the meat of this mix? This is too simplistic overall I'm afraid. I think you could condense this mix to 4 minute and keep the meat of the mix and cut out a lot of fat.

Production, samples, mixing is decent.

It's not a bad mix, but it's not too creative or has enough that stands out in various criteria we look for. NO

• 3 weeks later...

7 minutes is your typical club mix length for the dancefloor.

so to clarify for graylightning on why he made the first minute just drums: it's to give the DJ something to crossfade into.

normally you have 16/32 bars of groove at the beginning (and often end) of a club mix.

ok, so now we know what the prospective remixer was going for, but did he pull it off?

i don't think so. this really doesn't sustain momentum -- even for a club mix.

there needs to be a lot more going on here.

go for a radio edit next time.

no