Ecco2 Fault Zone: Hypnotica

This is a really good source track.

I really like the mellow and gloomy sound on this one. I think overall this is a really solid track...I'm kinda having trouble coming up with anything that really bothers me.

I suppose the lead synth that comes in at 0:53 has a tendency to muddle the high end a little bit, but it's really nothing too serious. The drum build at 1:37 sounds pretty cool. There are a lot of really cool dynamic shifts throughout the track that keep it pretty interesting. I also think the guitar solo is pretty solid

You may be right about the guitar tone, it kinda has a synthetic sound to it. I don't really know how to address that without micing a real amp, though.

Anyway...I like it. I'm sure someone else could come up with some more useful crits though :tomatoface:

This is good. A couple of things, though:

It sounds like you have a harmonizer or pitch shifter on the first guitar lead and it's causing a little bit of dissonance. Nothing really serious, but it's definitely there, and it's a bit distracting. Listen closely around 1:55 in particular to hear it.

I'm also noticing it gets a little muddy around :51 when the rhythm guitars come in. You might want to look at that.

Pretty solid overall, though. I like the ending :)

It sounds like you have a harmonizer or pitch shifter on the first guitar lead and it's causing a little bit of dissonance.

Nope. I just need tune my guitar:tomatoface:

I'm also noticing it gets a little muddy around :51 when the rhythm guitars come in. You might want to look at that.

Yup. Kinda muddy. Fck it! I'm too lazy:<

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Honestly, I'm not very wowed by the synths in the intro. The very deliberate, blocky bassline is an interesting stylistic choice, but the synth sounds themselves just aren't doing it for me. For that repeating synth riff in the background, I'd like to hear something with a little bit more personality, perhaps some vibrato or portamento to keep that riff alive and engaging. Or hell, throw some automation on there at key transitions.

Drums are sounding really good, much improved over your past mixes.

As far as the arrangement goes? Damn, damn good. Source link isn't working so I can't say for sure if it has enough source, but if it is, I daresay this would probably be good to go with a little bit of polishing on the synthwork. The guitars are fantastic, very crunchy and atmospheric. The mixing is pretty decent, though I'm hearing a bit of a frequency hole combined with some muddiness around :53 where the song really kicks into gear. It sounds strange on headphones, though I might just be grasping at something that's no big deal. Would love a second opinion on this... *cough* other workshop mods...*cough

Really sick arrangement, one of the best I've heard from you. Still not entirely sure on the mixing and whether there's something wrong with it or I'm just hearing things through 5:30 AM ears. Synth work definitely could use some sound changeups though, IMO. This one's real close though, I feel!

• 2 weeks later...

Lot of thanks! The only thing I kinda don't get is:

the strings sound slightly out of tune and offtimed at timed.

Strings? "Stringy" Synth? Offtimed at timed? Man I'm not so good in english to understand that) Or maybe i'm just dumb:<

As I understand, synths is out of tune. Correct me plz! Cause I don't hear any out of tune. Low attack, cause it?

Somebody help plz!:mrgreen:

I don't think he was being too harsh: he was just giving his frank perspective.

So as I

Strings? "Stringy" Synth? Offtimed at timed? Man I'm not so good in english to understand that) Or maybe i'm just dumb:<

As I understand, synths is out of tune. Correct me plz! Cause I don't hear any out of tune. Low attack, cause it?

Somebody help plz!:mrgreen:

Lol your lead guitar is slightly out of tune. Sorry, language barrier sucks.