Donkey Kong Country - Aqua Theme

Dj Monkay

Been awhile since i was here but wanted to post this simple (really simple:cry:) mix. This song is, of course, liked by many and has been mixed many times before but i wanted to see how much i could change the melodies of the song and that is how i came up with this jumble of stuff.

I know it is not up to OCR standards but i wanted to juz put it out there for people to give there opinions and critiques on it. I use Fruity Loops 9 if anybody was wondering or want to help out and please comment away!

Source:

Remix:

http://soundcloud.com/dj-monkay-1/donkey-kong-country-aqua-theme

It's a great source piece to mess with, for sure. Your basic melodic premise is very different, but interesting. The dissonant part at 1:00 or so could go either way, but at first listen it didn't sit amazingly well. I'll give it another listen later.

The dynamics of the remix are fairly flat. The existing drumwork is good, but try to add some supporting percussion elements or background synth sweeps to give the piece more dimension. Your basic framework is very good, but just add more to it.

Also, the main lead could be changed to something more dynamic (or even just add some reverb to it so it fills the soundscape more).

Good luck with this!

Raw and exposed sound, kind'a empty arrangement. Drum writing is sparse but has some nice variation to it; adding some percussion layers would of course improve the track overall. The snare rolls don't quite fit with the acoustic kit sound you've got - unless your imaginary drummer has a few more arms than the average drummer - tho it could work with the additional perc elements should you add any.

The aforementioned issues with dynamics and the 1:00 part dissonance also apply. It's a good track to work on, you've got a good foundation to build on here. As the source has a few remixes on the site already you can check those out to see what can be done with the track.

I had similar problems with "bottomless" sounding mixes (maybe I still do) But yeah, listen to other chill, ambient mixes and try to emulate the textures they have. Behind everything you need some sort of soundscape. It not only fills the empty space but also enhances the mood of these types of mixes.

This is nice, but it is the foundation of something that could be really cool. Transport your listener to another world.. a good example (if you don't mind chiptunes) would be halc's mixes.