Super Metroid - 'Red Water'

Rockos

This is one song I already try to remix in the past and it sounded bad. Now I redone the project from scratch and brigning it to my new style. Still in developpement. I need to improve and the songs need too. Maybe it'll only be finished as a practice too. Well hear it and don't be shy, comment please ^^.

Source:

Remix: img.php?fid=1294

Pretty cool! I actually saw it and was like "goddamn... another red soil mix... well, better listen!" I don't think I've heard it remixed quite like this before. Then again, there's like, 100 versions or something on the Super Metroid page, and I think I've only listened to about 3 of them. But I liked it nonetheless.

There's a spot around 1:01 where I could hear Hyrule Castle (from A Link to the Past) being integrated with unbelievable ease. This whole thing is in the same key, and you've already got the first 2 notes from the melody too. You could do that and flesh it out if you were feeling like it. (Hyrule Castle)

The snare works for what you've got going, but I think you could find something that would fit a bit better. And if I'm not mistaken, it's the default FL snare and clap layered, correct? Just check around, even the packs that come with FL have some pretty cool snare sounds, especially when doctored with a bit of reverb etc. This is a pretty minor thing though, and it's pretty subjective.

I guess that's it, there's not really a whole lot to crit here, which may be a crit in itself. Dig the robot voice and the gritty bass under the chiptunes. Keep going with it!

pH

Edit: Also, the low choir around :20 reminds me of upper Norfair, which can easily transit to Lower Norfair... idk man, there's all kinds of directions you can go with this!

Thanks. And for the snare your right. It's 2 snare from the club kit and one clap from the club kit. But mixed with these eq and reverb found out to be nice.

Sure I could take a lot of direction. I'm trying to work more the synth right now. But i'm totaly out of time. I hope I could finish this by the end of the month it would be nice. Otherwise I know it needs a lot of work.

Hmmmm... I don't know about technical details or even enough music theory, but I'll say what I think, and here goes nothing!

I really liked to listen to this song, and after some time it made me remember the tension that I felt everytime I did set foot on Norfair while playing Super Metroid when I was a child, almost 10 years ago. I don't see any need of improving anything, the remix is good, pretty good, catching and, of course, it's epic! Maybe it's just because I'm not a musician and/or I don't know what good things can be done while remixing a song, but I really think that this one here is good to go.

You've got some volume issues, most evident in how everything ducks under bass and kick, and how the delay on the 6-note pattern seems louder than the dry signal. Filter out excess lows from tracks that don't need it, use side-chaining to get some tracks out of the way from kick and snare, and mix the tracks' levels so your output compressor gets a break between drum hits.

It's sticking to the same elements you've introduced early in the mix, only adding what just amounts to background material. This makes it sound repetitive. That you're sticking to the same chords and sounds for a lot of the track makes it sound more repetitive.

There's some really cool filter effects on your wubwub towards the end, the track - it's sound design, arrangement, structure, whatever - just oughta be that interesting earlier. Need more of the stuff you did right and less of the other stuff. :P

Well, this is a popular thread. :P

Careful with the levels, I hear the lead being pushed down. Either write it so it avoids the drums, or mix this a little softer. The lead might actually be too loud, along with some of the other melodic, mid-high-register sounds.

Avoid sticking too much in the same frequency range. The stuff around 2:50 sounds quite clutter-y, there's not enough separation between the sounds there. Pan, eq, space out, change the writing, do something.

Assorted thoughts from a half-focused wip critic. Hope it helps, dude. :D

As a listener but not a mixer, I can't voice opinion on technique, but I can say that I enjoyed this mix quite a bit. In fact, I listened to it about 3 or 4 times before I remembered that it was auto-looping. Fresh take, neat sound, nice use of synth and reverb (if I'm assuming my words for it match up to everyone elses). Hope to see this one up on the site proper soon!

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely sounds dirtier...almost too dirty at first, it doesn't build up as much as the last mix did. The new synth warble (I hope that describes what I'm thinking of) comes off pretty harsh at first but works well, especially as the song gets further in. I do kind of miss the second bridge, but the "Galaxy at Peace" is much better. Nice work!