I dislike amp sims now...

I think amp sims are wonderful. They let me play through amps that I could never afford and process them exactly how I want to. Sure, it's fun to mic up an amp, but without the proper recording setup it's a much bigger hassle. The most important part to me, though, is that the tone isn't set in stone- I can come up with a part, record it while it's fresh in my mind, and figure out the best amp sound for it later.

Sonic, you're arguing with Snappleman. How many remixes do you have posted here? Where's the link to your website in your profile, showing off your clear skill as an artist? Oh, you don't have any posted mixes or a website? Snappleman does. We know he's got skill and experience. What do you have, besides the tendency to be an ADHD ping pong ball, posting threads and questions that could generally be answered by googling or trying it yourself?

but the main reason i cant stand sim are cpu probs and getting a good gain setting on your interface to let you get good sustain on your sim, i cant even do tap solos, and im still working with the revalver.

So, your problem is a bad CPU (or not knowing how to make better use of it by freezing tracks, etc) and/or user error. Sounds like a great reason to blame the sims.

Sonic, you're arguing with Snappleman. How many remixes do you have posted here? Where's the link to your website in your profile, showing off your clear skill as an artist? Oh, you don't have any posted mixes or a website? Snappleman does. We know he's got skill and experience. What do you have, besides the tendency to be an ADHD ping pong ball, posting threads and questions that could generally be answered by googling or trying it yourself?

Snappleman is also the guy who says it takes more skill to play the same electric guitar phrase on acoustic guitar. When pros and amatuers alike who've played both are likely to disagree with him.

Just because someone has more experience with a particular thing doesn't always make them right. Because here's the thing....IT IS AN OPINION. If I had a dime for every opinionated retard, pro and amatuer, who thinks every solid state amp sucks, I'd be rich. Most people aren't politicians but are still allowed to have an opinion on politics.

I hate amp sims less in the tone department and more because I don't feel they're worth the money when you can buy for just a bit more a great sounding REAL amp that you can also use on stage, to jam with your friends etc. You can't just easily load up amplitube anywhere.

Also, assuming someone isn't a talented musician because they don't have a OCR artist profile or a link to their official website on the standard OCR is a very dangerous assumption. Because while OCR does have some extremely great music on it, it also has some complete shit. But again that's an opinion.

Even if you're wrong and a dumbass. You still have the right. Look at me. I'm a dumbass all the time.

So, your problem is a bad CPU (or not knowing how to make better use of it by freezing tracks, etc) and/or user error. Sounds like a great reason to blame the sims.

Your some sorta bullshit internet lawer or a fan...... just kidding

As snapple already said, you can burn cpu fast with anything. and my cpu is not bad either, and im not upgrading to a i7 just yet (I dont want to change the mother board yet), I like me dual core, run so many things my old school celeron could not dream of, now I can run java and C compilers ♥ :D

2. Do any of my heros or favorite artist have posted mixs on this site? im not changing my style (or posting my unposted stuff) just to get my music posted, unless some make a mario paint compo of my mix, then that calls for a ReMix. (and for those who noticed yes people my crap can be found around dubstep forums but not on soundcloud..)

3. rule 93. "Ninja Edit Ok that was mean I take that back"

4. rule 100 (In your case no exception)

I love counting :P

Snappleman is also the guy who says it takes more skill to play the same electric guitar phrase on acoustic guitar. When pros and amatuers alike who've played both are likely to disagree with him.

Considering I make my living working with music, and part of that living involves session guitar work, I consider myself a professional guitarist. And if you know anything about guitar, bass, keyboards, kazoo, or any instrument at all, you'll realize that there are strong and equally correct opinions on either side of a debate. So for every "pro" and "amateur" who would disagree with me, I can bring forth two that back me up. Just because you're bitter about my opinion in another discussion on here doesn't mean you should come in and try to restart that debate in this thread. If you really want to discuss that topic, send me a PM.

What.

How is this even a thing? You can't really make a blanket statement like that because a $2000 Martin will probably be set up way better than a $100 Fender Squier, but overall I'm pretty sure that electric guitars will have a thinner neck, lower action, etc. than similarly priced acoustics, consequently making them 'easier' to play on.

I can't really comment on whether a real amp is better than a simulator since it's a question of personal taste, I will agree that they are two different animals. What you use really depends on what you like versus what's convenient. In the end, both can be made to work for any particular situation.

No matter what the case is, you have to take into account your entire signal chain. With using an amp simulator, I think it's even more important to pay attention to your setup. While you don't necessarily need to spend thousands on a preamp, the pre built into your audio interface may not do your guitar justice. Again, it's a matter of personal taste.

A real amp is always going to have a certain amount of personality and character to it since two of the same model are never exactly the same. An amp sim should always sound the same when you pull up a particular preset. The only thing that will change is what's in the signal chain before it. Your perception of how good it sounds is also very much determined by how your monitoring the end result. It find it a little hard to judge the quality of the sound without a decent pair of monitors.

This is a really good article where Bob Moog explains what he felt was the difference between digital and analog. While it talks more about synths, I think that the concept can still be applied to this situation: http://moogmusic.com/legacy/conversation-bob-moog-analog-vs-digital-sound-generation

I liked Amplitube 2, but 3 is a little harsh sounding, somehow. I am a huge fan of Revalver III, which sounds dead-on. As well it should, since Peavey makes real amps and knows what they're doing modeling-wise. I've never liked Guitar Rig except for some of the interesting synth-type effect you can use in real time with it, and Wave GTR just plain sucks.

If you have to plunk down money and can't get a real amp for whatever reason, check out Revalver III. It sounds awesome right out of the box.

Snappleman is also the guy who says it takes more skill to play the same electric guitar phrase on acoustic guitar.

Yes, that is a generally accurate comment.

Depends on how you work, I'm on i7 Sandy Bridge and I can get to 75% load pretty easily.

Point taken, but I've heard "SonicThHedgog's" (namewut) music and I can't imagine that stuff taking any more than 20-30% on my computer. I've got an i7-2600 as well (built a new music and gaming machine a month ago because my synths were just too much and my games couldn't run at lowest settings), so strip away two hyperthreaded cores from mine and take away some L3 Cache and you get an i3, I'm pretty sure that translates to maybe 60-70% when you take away half the processor, but I could be wrong. Unless he's using some ridiculous patches, even so, FREEZING.

I recently switched to Amp Sims simply because I can tweak sounds and settings after the part has been recorded instead of needing to re-record a part.

I can't get the exact sound I want in my amp sim, but I can't really get the exact sound I want from my line 6 or tube amp either. I'm still working on learning some of the finer points of getting a great tone. I'm not going to blame that lack of experience on the sim or amp though, that'd be childish.

Point taken, but I've heard "SonicThHedgog's" (namewut) music and I can't imagine that stuff taking any more than 20-30% on my computer. I've got an i7-2600 as well (built a new music and gaming machine a month ago because my synths were just too much and my games couldn't run at lowest settings), so strip away two hyperthreaded cores from mine and take away some L3 Cache and you get an i3, I'm pretty sure that translates to maybe 60-70% when you take away half the processor, but I could be wrong. Unless he's using some ridiculous patches, even so, FREEZING.

House tracks take alot of cpu :P, unless you ment guitar wise, then yes 20-30, but I bounce tracks offten so it reduces cpu load so you would be just about 15-20%. I usually get about 30% if I freeze tracks, unless I do it in one take then it runs 60+

Considering I make my living working with music, and part of that living involves session guitar work, I consider myself a professional guitarist. And if you know anything about guitar, bass, keyboards, kazoo, or any instrument at all, you'll realize that there are strong and equally correct opinions on either side of a debate. So for every "pro" and "amateur" who would disagree with me, I can bring forth two that back me up. Just because you're bitter about my opinion in another discussion on here doesn't mean you should come in and try to restart that debate in this thread. If you really want to discuss that topic, send me a PM.

You make lots of great points and provide quality advice with guitar. To date, the whole acoustic/electric thing is the only point of yours I disagree on. I was merely using that as an example to the other user that it is in fact possible to disagree with someone regardless of credentials. You know I love ya and your music Snaps.

Anyway, this thread inspired me to youtube some amp sim tests.

I like this one. You can definitely convince people of having the real amp. I swear one of those first riffs is from an Exodus song.

Meh, maybe I'll fire up Guitar Rig again. Yes, see this whole time people thought I was just hating without owning. They're wrong. I haz Guitar Rig 4 but it goes to no use considering there is an amp on my left. Perhaps I shall try combining amp sim and real amp......

Meh, maybe I'll fire up Guitar Rig again. Yes, see this whole time people thought I was just hating without owning. They're wrong. I haz Guitar Rig 4 but it goes to no use considering there is an amp on my left. Perhaps I shall try combining amp sim and real amp......

You can always do both too. Record a mic on your amp as well as a dry signal from the guitar. That way you have a choice on what you can use or you can use both of them. If you have a dry signal, you always have the ability to re-amp things at any time.