*NO* Super Dodge Ball '6 Dodge Balls and a Lotus Flower'

OceansAndrew

Hello there,

This remix was created for Around the World, the 'Super Dodge Ball' project directed by KyleJCrb and Murmeli Wallan.

I've been on OCR for a couple years now, but this is my very first individual submission to the panel.

It's an ethnic arrangement of the 'Team China' theme, aiming to transport the listener to the far-east.

In a temple, up in the mountains or along the riverside. You never know when the next dodgeball match is gonna break out. ;)

PROJECT TRACK

ReMixer name: Dj Mokram

userid: 28433

Game arranged: Super Dodgeball (Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu)

Song arranged: Team China

Arrangement name: 6 Dodgeballs and a Lotus Flower

Original Composer: Kazuo Sawa

System: NES

Comment: This remix was one of my first foray into VG remixing, as well as one of my first experimentation with ethnic arrangement.

In order to make this sound authentic, I've used instruments (and percussions) from the east-asian folklore (Pipa, Ban Di, Dizi, Guzheng and Ehru).

The song is often carried by some fast-paced breakbeats, but the bassline is played by a Ruan here, not a traditional bass.

This arrangement was inspired by Drunken Masters II, one of my favorite martial-art movies, starring chinese action star Chan Kong-sang.

Lastly, I wanna thank the folks at KNGI (and most notably evktalo, mad props to him!) who helped me complete this mix through their feedback and critique.

It's intimidating to sub after well-known artists such as Dhsu and Avaris, have each done ample justice to this theme in the past.

But hopefully, this interpretation has a simple charm that can set it apart from the previously posted remixes.

Hope you'll enjoy and thank you very much for your time. :)

Source link:

• 4 weeks later...

So what's cool about this track is that the project evaluaters (including myself) have already judged this one, so I get to use a lot of their judgement for my own purposes (mwahaha).

Firstly, you made a fun choice by taking the typical Chinese style and running with it. Very natural choice, and I think you make it work well. The arrangement is there, you've added your own personal stuff, and its working nicely overall.

The sounds are not the best, but I think you work with them well. The Samurai sound is just fun, and used amusingly and thankfully not over-used. The flute is a bit mechanical overall, and the bass could use a little more presence, but I don't think these issues are dealbreakers.

Love seeing you improve, keep it up!

YES

For this track, the production was a little washed out, and some of the flute sequencing was very mechanical, but I liked what the mix was going for. It could definitely use more energy overall, and when the drums come in, it felt better, and I liked the unique snare sound. The mechanical sequencing was pretty rough though in some spots, especially the flute.

Overall it's way borderline for me, because I enjoy the arrangement so much, but I think for OCR you'll need to humanize the sequencing a bit more. Super close though. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 months later...

yeah, I'm pretty much right alongside OA on this one. the arrangement is really fun and well-varied, but the overall soundscape was just kinda hollow and lacking in energy, and the sequencing and velocities were really stiff. combined with the samples, which weren't bad, but weren't amazing either, I gotta say this is just below the bar for me. It wouldn't surprise to see this pass in it's current state, so best of luck with the rest of the vote, but I gotta go with a NO here. a little more attention to detail in the sequencing would probably score my vote.

NO(resub)

The drumwork at 1:02 was also kind of bland, despite the great cymbals and creative fills. Can't say I felt the same way about the snare as OA; it's not terrible, it just lacks energy and mostly serves as a vanilla metronome. Not sure what you could do to tweak that, but my opinion is that the drums don't have much synergy with the Eastern instrumentation.

It could definitely use more energy overall... The mechanical sequencing was pretty rough though in some spots, especially the flute.
the overall soundscape was just kinda hollow and lacking in energy, and the sequencing and velocities were really stiff

That's the 1-2 punch on what's not working here.

The rigid timing and mechanical sequencing is definitely what does this in, which is a shame because the samples themselves are solid and the arrangement is AWESOME.

See what you can do to get the leads sounding less mechanical and you'd have an easy pass.

NO (resubmit)

Gotta side with the NO votes on this one. The articulations and sample quality are not strong enough for what is supposed to be a mostly acoustic mix. The mixing is also a little off, as has been said. The mix of rock drumkit and traditional instruments is pretty sweet, I can really hear that working out with improved production.

NO (resubmit)