email: darksimmusic@gmail.com

forum link: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=33879

Game arranged: Donkey Kong Country

Arrangement name: Melting Point

Arrangement link:

Song arranged: Fear Factory

Source:

Composer: David Wise

This time I've decided to tackle one of my favourite songs from one of the most iconic soundtracks in VGM, and this is a source that stands out amongst a truly outstanding soundtrack. I actually put this source onto a compilation tape of VGM originals and remixes I used to have in my car years ago, and I've always wanted to give it that power and energy that it deserves. I've gone for a drum 'n' bass flavour with orchestral elements, sort of similar to Nutritious' inspirational track "The Unbroken".

Thanks go to Neblix, for his drumkit http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33338 which I used as a basis for mine.

The strings in the intro are quite bare. Whole notes can't be all you use on a string part, especially if it's the only thing going on.

The drums are pretty cool, but this remix is a very straightforward cover. I do like the panning saw synth, but the rest of the track is a little too simple.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is working overall, but Jesse had some good points about the blockiness of the structure; and I do think that the arrangement could be truncated a little bit, with the layers being built a bit faster. The drums sound great, and there are a lot of good details that make it nice, but some areas seem a little empty in the harmonic aspect. What I mean by that is that some sections just have a bass line and melody, and no countermelody or harmony in the chords. I realize that things build eventually to the point where there is harmony, but having something throughout makes it a lot more interesting.

I'd say this is at about 90% right now, and just needs a few arrangement additions and trimming to get there. Definitely has potential to make it. :-)

No, please resubmit

some areas seem a little empty in the harmonic aspect. What I mean by that is that some sections just have a bass line and melody, and no countermelody or harmony in the chords. I realize that things build eventually to the point where there is harmony, but having something throughout makes it a lot more interesting.

This right here. Before reading the votes, this was really nagging on me, but I couldn't articulate the issues holding this back.

The bowed strings sounded too sparse and the sequencing was on the mechanical side, though not the worst I've heard. The pizz strings later sounded fine, but, during the chorus, the bowed strings were too quiet compared to the beats. The bowed articulations definitely need to be refined to sound more humanized. The beatwork at the foundation of the track was pretty vanilla and repetitive for the first half.

Better, more progressive stuff at 2:00, though the lead synth playing the melody was kind of weak. Back to the pizz strings around 2:30. The arrangement isn't too cover-ish, IMO, as if it was just a verbatim cover, but what's there could still be more melodically interpretive and creative with the bowed & pizz strings and the synth melody of the chorus. It's just a little too plain of an arrangement when it comes to the lead elements. Like OA said, you need something else there to further flesh this out. Right now, you have bland leads with relatively straightforward arrangement trying to carry most of the track.

The potential's there, just refine this further and send it on back.

NO (resubmit)