Metroid Prime - Ending Suite "Lone Star"

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2q75u0oi7a4vwc

Backup Link:

img.php?fid=1334

Source:

I can remember that, as a child, when I first sat down in front of a piano, the only song I wanted to play was the menu theme from Metroid Prime. Of course, I expanded my musical horizon over the years, but the Metroid series never quite left my heart. And just as I have grown, the Metroid series still lives on as strong as ever. It's hard to believe that the Metroid series is now 25 years old now.

So, for this special day, I decided to celebrate by arranging this piano solo, in dedication to the childhoods of the many who loved (and hopefully still love) the Metroid series like I do.

The track was close to being scrapped more times than I would like to think. Originally, I found the piece too repetitive. To complicate matters, the original track has a complex rhythm and beat, which made it very demanding to perform on a consistent basis. Even after all my work, I wasn't very satisfied with the final mix, feeling that it went on just a little too long for its own good. However, with a bit of convincing from the community, and a lot of magic from The Orichalcon's mixing abilities, I'm very proud of how Lone Star has turned out.

Special thanks must be given to the project leaders of "Harmony of a Hunter" (especially Darren), and to my friends, as the song would never have been finished if it wasn't for their help and kind words.

*is impressed* I find the dragging fine for the feeling.

For the mix - I don't know if the room for the piano really works as it's very echo like and bouncy removing the "muffled" feel in the soft parts and peaking the left hand action at times like 3:10 starting. So those strong right hand accords get somewhat lost. It would be nice to really feel the impact that you hit there. So it just sounds very distant (which works very good in the beginning but not here I think)

For the mix - I don't know if the room for the piano really works as it's very echo like and bouncy removing the "muffled" feel in the soft parts and peaking the left hand action at times like 3:10 starting. So those strong right hand accords get somewhat lost. It would be nice to really feel the impact that you hit there. So it just sounds very distant (which works very good in the beginning but not here I think)

I agree. I'll experiment with reducing the "reverb" microphone. I realize most piano pieces aim for a "one-to-one" feel. However, I wanted to aim for a more "layered" feel. Regardless, I will post a no-reverb version soon (unless it sounds awful).

Edit: After experimenting. the "impacts" really don't come out well without the additional microphone. I don't know if it's due to the placement of the Player Microphone, but it just doesn't work.

Anyway, unless anyone has any qualms with the mix, I'm going to submit the mix for moderator review. Thanks to everyone who commented. :)

• 1 month later...

My thoughts exactly. Just fix this, and IMO it will be ready! :D

EDIT: Just so you know, I've been trying to cover the Prime theme lately, and this is pretty inspiring to me to finish my own cover.. What chords are being played at 3:30, if you don't mind me asking...

My thoughts exactly. Just fix this, and IMO it will be ready! :D

EDIT: Just so you know, I've been trying to cover the Prime theme lately, and this is pretty inspiring to me to finish my own cover.. What chords are being played at 3:30, if you don't mind me asking...

I forget... I'll let you know asap.

Thanks guys for your comments! And sorry for the slow responses, the forum didn't notify me of the new posts for some reason (probably had to do with my SSD failing on me X_X).