OCR02476 - *YES* Mega Man 2 (GB) 'The Will of the Forest'

OceansAndrew

Artist/Full Name: Luke Keever

forum ID: 20803

Game: Mega Man 2 (Game Boy)

Source Tunes: Wood Man's Stage

Remix title: Will of the Forest

This was originally a song I did maybe a year and a half ago for a compilation album that Jakesnke17 was doing on another website. I always have enjoyed the arrangement itself and wanted to sub it to OCR, but I've never really found it ready for the site up until now. I've always touched up the song bit by bit over the past year, and decided I could give a submission a shot. As for why I chose this specific song, I simply find this to be an unappreciated soundtrack in general, and this is one of the songs on the soundtrack that stuck out to me most.

Enjoy. :)

-- Luke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQio0HqHm0

• 4 weeks later...

Overall a pretty solid rock take on a great theme. Style-wise it really reminds me of Level99, which is pretty cool, I like the seemingly live, no-nonsense feel and varied drum patterns. Nice breakdown section, and the ending was ok.

Production was pretty clear, but there is a weird frequency in the bass that is causing it to sound a little bit boxy, and fighting with the lead a little. The synth that came in wasn't amazing, but

Otherwise, the playing itself was solid and on point, and the rhythm tone and drums sounded nice.

It skirts the line, and between the bass and the slight over-compression of the lead, it just needs a bit of minor tweaking and it's there. Please fix it up and resend it, and if you'd like to run it by me personally, before resubbing, feel free.

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm actually with Deia on this one, and I tend to be a little more critical of the production on metal tracks. I think this one sounds above the bar, it's a pretty straightforward take on the theme, but you stay within your comfort zone as far as production and performance goes and the end result sounds pretty nice. I liked the lead guitar tone, though it felt got buried in the mix sometimes when it was competing with your rhythm guitars. That issue was a little disappointing but it's not a dealbreaker. The clean guitar breakdown was really neat, that definitely changed things up in a very welcome way.

I'm cool with this.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah my vote looks a lot like Wes'. Production is not perfect - the lead could stand to be brought out a little more, and the synth could use more bite - but there was enough good stuff going on that I'm ok passing this. Great sounding drums. It felt like you were comfortable with what you were doing here, and the adaptation was smooth and effortless.

YES

• 1 month later...

Cool take here. I'm hearing the crits already mentioned here. Bass does have a bit of a weird tone, which is pretty indistinct sounding when it's exposed.

Good drum work here with plenty of variation throughout. Very competent performance on the guitars as well. I'll echo Vinnie that you come across as comfortable & confident with what you're shooting for here and genre adaptation is very effective.

Andrew's just a guitar snob (jk bro we are best buds)

YES