PKMN MD2 - Dialga's Last Stand Final Version (Dialga's Fight to the Finish Psychedelic remix)

timaeus222

Your lows are a mess. Cut out the lows from all tracks that don't need them. That should also buy you some headroom for the compression problems you've currently got. Reduce the lows in your kick as well, it's pushing the whole track's compression levels.

I hear the ear-hurt-ness WIll was talking about before, and it's still there. Reduce the amount of resonance in your synths. If they get too dark, open the filter a little or use a weaker filter type (typical strengths: 6, 12, 24 - all LP).

Hihat rhythm is weird. The snare writing doesn't help, but it's not as much a problem. When you're using a lot of snare, drop the velocity on the additional ones to keep it from being too dominant. It's got a lot of reverb, which works for the single snares but not so much for the extra snares... at least at their current velocity.

Your levels are all over the place. Intro is way softer than the main body of the track. btw, the intro opens kind'a in the middle of things, and seems to go on for too long, and is lacking highs. I would suggest throwing in a filtered, bright, soft percussion loop or something at 0:17 to balance out the mid-heavy synths. Your lead in the intro could use some more highs, so open its filter (instead of screwing with EQ to try to boost frequencies you've already filtered out).

I'm not gonna get into the source stuff, I'm sure others have. Just giving you the production impressions of a fresh pair of ears. :)

• 4 weeks later...

The lead writing is really strong, but imo the bass, harmonies, and backing arpeggios are too quiet in most instances. Especially the chip arpeggios; I feel my ears drawn to those a lot of the time, but find myself irritated that I can't hear them as well as I'd like to(especially at big lead-ins like the one around 1:39). In the beginning, they're fine, but the volume could be pumped a bit after the intro. Around :40 they come up briefly for some support, but the bass is still quiet and I feel like it could be beefed up a bit, especially for that section. Bring out the backing stuff a bit more, and it might thicken up the sound a bit, which is precisely what an epic feeling piece such as this needs. Hope this helps!

pH

Yeah, your soundscape is starting to thicken up a lot already. I'd still say more on the chip arps, if you don't want them front and center, it could be helpful to crescendo and decrescendo them to bring them up and then get them back out of the way, and repeat. Panning sweeps could be cool too. Especially at 1:36 still, I can hear the chips are definitely there, but the transition would be a LOT stronger and have more impact if you crescendoed the chips into the next section.

The bass could still be a bit stronger at parts too, like the aforementioned section at 1:39 (after the lead-in). Maybe more of a distorted electronic bass would help, and more movement.

Also, things seem a little unnecessarily timid at the beginning around :16; it seems like an opportunity to thrust the listener into action, and I think you should grasp it. The drums can still be laid back as far as that half-time feel, because I can appreciate that building up vibe you're going for, but there's no reason for the volume and intensity to be that low compared to the rest of the tune. And you can keep the building aspect by keeping the lead volume where it's at and capitalizing on your pads and counterpoints more. And the arps, I know I keep harping on them, but I really think they would make the piece a WHOLE lot stronger if they were utilized more.

Again, hope this helps! I'll try to keep critting the more you write

pH

I'd still say more on the chip arps, if you don't want them front and center, it could be helpful to crescendo and decrescendo them to bring them up and then get them back out of the way, and repeat. Panning sweeps could be cool too. Especially at 1:36 still, I can hear the chips are definitely there, but the transition would be a LOT stronger and have more impact if you crescendoed the chips into the next section.

Thanks for helping! I did the messa di voce, but the panning was already there. Maybe it wasn't quite noticeable, so I'll make it last over a longer period of time.

The bass could still be a bit stronger at parts too, like the aforementioned section at 1:39 (after the lead-in). Maybe more of a distorted electronic bass would help, and more movement.

Sure. :D

Also, things seem a little unnecessarily timid at the beginning around :16; it seems like an opportunity to thrust the listener into action, and I think you should grasp it. The drums can still be laid back as far as that half-time feel, because I can appreciate that building up vibe you're going for, but there's no reason for the volume and intensity to be that low compared to the rest of the tune. And you can keep the building aspect by keeping the lead volume where it's at and capitalizing on your pads and counterpoints more. And the arps, I know I keep harping on them, but I really think they would make the piece a WHOLE lot stronger if they were utilized more.

Again, hope this helps! I'll try to keep critting the more you write

pH

It does help! =D

(will post later)

• 3 weeks later...

I just listened to the latest version.

The way I see it, I might be missing some of the ideas behind it.

I feel like the chords in the back detract from the melody sometimes.

You could try going back to the source chords and bass for some of it.

Also, the part that kicks in at 2:10 is great.

I feel like it should enter the main part again a bit more dramatically.

And the lead synth there is cool... but there's a wee bit too much tremolo.

It's cool when used sparingly. Maybe make some of those notes un-tremolo'd to add effect to when it IS done.

Maybe I'm missing the idea of this remix. But that's my two cents.

Hope this helps.

- Callum

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! The tremolo is a feature in the plugin I'm using, so I'm going to have to add more (to a lot of) automation to turn the tremolo on and off at certain points, then.

When you say chords, I do hope you mean actual chords, and not individual notes. :P Although, someone asked me to make the Bass more dominant and dynamic, so... I'm just going to lower it just a bit so that it will blend in more but not too much.

• 5 weeks later...

Listening to this again.

Perhaps the opening could be stronger with either a fade in or an abrupt intro. ie. Beethoven Symphony #3 Eroica First Movement - Allegro Con Brio

With a reverse cymbal leading up to abrupt intro it instantly shocks the listening into listening. Just an idea.

At 0:40 it went exactly where it needed to go. The lead is great there.

At 1:00 it also went in the exact right direction.

At 1:14 you could tone down the drum beat and add more ambience. For a reflective feel.

At 1:23 it's great but you could make the bassline louder and maybe closer to the source. I feel like it's a bit different. I might be wrong though.

At 1:40 it leaped back out, but perhaps it could have been louder and more punchy.

2:06 is perfect. Exactly what was necessary.

At 2:22 that lead is one of the highlights of the piece, perhaps you should take away the drums. That way, when it goes back into the drums (Maybe even louder), it's more punchy in comparison.

2:47. Perfect. Just the thing it needed.

Perhaps that last chord could have been held. The sweeping sound combined with that chord would have sounded cool while ringing out for a bit longer.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to see what you end up with! ;-)

There's no need to do it all. If you fix up a bit each time, it will theoretically get better! :D

Honestly, all I can denote about it now. Is that the bassline sometimes dominates a wee bit too much.

Don't take offence if I'm COMPLETELY wrong, but have you EQ'd?

Also, the lead in vibrato gets annoying after a while. At some points, you may want to make it smooth.

Trust me, anything to get it more likely to pass the panel is a good thing.

Good luck with this. ;-)

- Callum

Yes, I have EQ'd everything. A lot, actually.

And someone already has told me to lessen the vibrato; I had done that also.

I appreciate your trying to help me, but most of the things you've said so far were already established. :/ I will try lowering the bass's mix level some more.

http://www.box.com/s/dqg1bsr78xzyfdhmkire - V6.2