PKMN MD2 - Dialga's Last Stand Final Version (Dialga's Fight to the Finish Psychedelic remix)

timaeus222

I like. :D

Few things. I'm not sure what's up with the filter automations you have going on throughout, but a little of them may be overdone. It almost sounds like you have a master filter and you play with it just a bit too frequently and drastically, at least for my liking. It's a cool effect, but watch out that that doesn't get overused.

I think the snare could be a bit more low pitch, and pack a bit more punch. Try layering in another, lower pitched snare.

The first lead synth you have seems a bit 'lazy'; that's really the only way I can put it. Try decreasing the portamento time on that particular synth so that the notes snap a little quicker.

Production is pretty good, but could use some work here and there, things might be a little overcompressed. Reduce the compression and things will probably breathe a bit better.

Arrangement is pretty good here. Nice work :D

I like. :D

Few things. I'm not sure what's up with the filter automations you have going on throughout, but a little of them may be overdone. It almost sounds like you have a master filter and you play with it just a bit too frequently and drastically, at least for my liking. It's a cool effect, but watch out that that doesn't get overused.

That might be the white noise. xD I was actually thinking of tuning it down a notch anways.

I think the snare could be a bit more low pitch, and pack a bit more punch. Try layering in another, lower pitched snare.

Yeah, I'm still trying to find some good samples. :)

The first lead synth you have seems a bit 'lazy'; that's really the only way I can put it. Try decreasing the portamento time on that particular synth so that the notes snap a little quicker.

Okay. :D

Production is pretty good, but could use some work here and there, things might be a little overcompressed. Reduce the compression and things will probably breathe a bit better.

True, I've been thinking the bass was just a bit high. Maybe some reequalizing might help.

Arrangement is pretty good here. Nice work :D

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Hey yo, hi ho, go! :mrgreen:

There seems to be problems with velocities in many places. Some leads come loud, others come fine. It's a bit like a seesaw, as the levels tend to be fine, then loud, then fine, then loud. Not sure if it's something about used plugins (like flangers or phasers), but it could also be the overcompression; still you might need to balance the levels from your samples. There's a moment when your windy sfx comes a bit loud, a lil' after the middle of the song, for example. And then it becomes seesaw party :P

But I like your track! You've filled the soundscape well, there's some tasty glitches n' arps, things never get boring and are very cohesive. If I were to revise anything, it would just be on production thingies.

Oh, if there's any compressor/limiter in your work, I'd recommend taking it out for now. Balance levels, easy on the left-right effects ;D

Hey yo, hi ho, go! :mrgreen:

There seems to be problems with velocities in many places. Some leads come loud, others come fine. It's a bit like a seesaw, as the levels tend to be fine, then loud, then fine, then loud. Not sure if it's something about used plugins (like flangers or phasers), but it could also be the overcompression; still you might need to balance the levels from your samples. There's a moment when your windy sfx comes a bit loud, a lil' after the middle of the song, for example. And then it becomes seesaw party :P

I do see that. I'll fix it up! :D

But I like your track! You've filled the soundscape well, there's some tasty glitches n' arps, things never get boring and are very cohesive. If I were to revise anything, it would just be on production thingies.

Sweet, I don't want to be boring. ;D

Oh, if there's any compressor/limiter in your work, I'd recommend taking it out for now. Balance levels, easy on the left-right effects ;D

I should take out the limiter while fixing the compression? Hm.

I'm a newbie who's never made a full piece myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but...

I really like your instrumentation and I think you've filled your soundscape very well. To make it even better, I feel like the biggest thing you could do is make your voices evolve more. While the balance of voices changes a lot throughout as the melody does, it feels more repetitive than it would otherwise because you reuse voices a lot (for example, it sounds to me like your different leads throughout the song are very similar). In particular, I feel like the beginning could use some of this as it feels very abrupt to me. The buildup into the main melody would also be a lot stronger if the instruments themselves evolved alongside the instrumentation.

But again, great work!

I'm a newbie who's never made a full piece myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but...

I really like your instrumentation and I think you've filled your soundscape very well. To make it even better, I feel like the biggest thing you could do is make your voices evolve more. While the balance of voices changes a lot throughout as the melody does, it feels more repetitive than it would otherwise because you reuse voices a lot (for example, it sounds to me like your different leads throughout the song are very similar). In particular, I feel like the beginning could use some of this as it feels very abrupt to me. The buildup into the main melody would also be a lot stronger if the instruments themselves evolved alongside the instrumentation.

But again, great work!

So you would like more contrast as the song progresses? Okay, that was what I was planning to do eventually, once the production got sufficient. It's going to make me add like 9 more layers to the 26 layers that were already there, but that just makes the project file more complicated and awesome. xD

• 4 weeks later...

Emunator, Level 99 and I have all got together and listened to the source, this was the general consensus:

Pretty cool arrangement. There was some pretty sweet synth sounds and writing as well, props there. The source seems to be prominent altho it seems slightly repetitive to the others I dunno :P

The production tho, we all agree needs some tweaking. The intro is really loud and piercing, you need to work on your EQing so its less painful on the ears. There are balancing issues, particularly, there was a very strong automated panned arp which threw off the balance. Cool idea but the execution was a little off. The samples seemed over processed generally. The drums felt static and over compressed.

To sum it all up, this needs some work in the production, mixing, and don't be afraid to throw in some more variation here and there! :D

The intro is really loud and piercing, you need to work on your EQing so its less painful on the ears.

Really? Weird, no one else said that. Oh well, I'll try to fix it, then.

There are balancing issues, particularly, there was a very strong automated panned arp which threw off the balance. Cool idea but the execution was a little off.

Woah, you heard that? That's interesting, for some reason I didn't think you could actually hear that. xD The 8-bit-ish one?

The drums felt static and over compressed.

I'll fix it during that process up there. =D

----------

Thanks a lot for the review! =)

Here is the V5! I fixed the overcompression on the drums, lowered the bass some, added some variations on the drums, and (tried to) make the intro less piercing. Hopefully it's improved!

V5: http://www.box.net/shared/d3n4ulh3f50lq0c6pap1

V4: http://www.box.net/shared/ruvfqto6ydi1cx29xhk1

V3: http://www.box.net/shared/pjcnqqudpjlfagstizhc

V2: http://tindeck.com/listen/soyk

V1: http://tindeck.com/listen/elwz

Here is the V5! I fixed the overcompression on the drums, lowered the bass some, added some variations on the drums, and (tried to) make the intro less piercing. Hopefully it's improved!

V5: http://www.box.net/shared/d3n4ulh3f50lq0c6pap1

V4: http://www.box.net/shared/ruvfqto6ydi1cx29xhk1

V3: http://www.box.net/shared/pjcnqqudpjlfagstizhc

V2: http://tindeck.com/listen/soyk

V1: http://tindeck.com/listen/elwz

Hopefully it's improved!

And that it has :D

Things generally sound a lot smoother in the latest version. I would still work on getting that snare a bit lower-pitched though.

Some weird gurgling noises I noticed around 1:15-1:20 in the lows, they kinda disturb the soundscape you've got going. Honestly I would get rid of those.

Only other thing I would suggest...

1:39 is in dire need of a cymbal :D

- Things generally sound a lot smoother in the latest version. I would still work on getting that snare a bit lower-pitched though.

- Some weird gurgling noises I noticed around 1:15-1:20 in the lows, they kinda disturb the soundscape you've got going. Honestly I would get rid of those.

Only other thing I would suggest...

- 1:39 is in dire need of a cymbal :D

- I'm still trying to layer snares, but it's hard to get a good sound. =/ I think I'll just EQ it to get the sound.

- That's from dBlueGlitch. Yeah, I'll fix that up. xD

- Okay! =D