*NO* Lunar 'Concerto dei Luna'

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

I know Kaijin has some issues with the way our policy on arrangements have evolved and the way his mixes have been been scrutinized in this regard. I'm sorry to say, I felt this is pretty much along the lines of Kai's other stuff, he likes to mix conservatively almost as an homage to the original and it shows here.

I too am a serious fan of this series and Iwadare's music, so I know this piece by heart. I felt this mix followed along the pacing and structure too strictly for OCR standards. The intro sections were one of the more expansive sections, but after that it started to follow the original fairly closely. Even the genre and instrumentation I felt isn't an evolved departure of the original.

It's difficult to mix this source material since the original is incredible. I wasn't too keen on some of the compositional choices you made, the string arrangement is cluttered sounding, and I don't think using midi pitch bends in this manner really does anything beneficial other than stick out like a synth. I did like your glock and piano composition though, it really sounds like you've studied Iwadare's style well. Orchestration as a whole is quite good, but I would have liked to have heard something more daring or liberal.

Certainly a well-put-together piece and a pleasant listen, but the conservative approach makes me want to hear where you can take this rather than relying on the great source material too strongly. Sorry, NO

The original definitely isn't my style, but I can definitely respect it. Jennifer Stigile did a nice job on it, and I also liked the light guitar at 2:33 reminding me of zyko's performance style.

The arrangement was enjoyable, but :54-2:40 went into cover mode, replacing Stigile's vocals with strings & winds. I liked the track; played it back on VGF56, and genuinely was feeling the light atmosphere, but the cover-focused aspect was too conservative. The support instrumentation had some noteworthy differences with the original, but not too much felt different in the presentation overall. On a side note, I heard some very light brass from around 2:12-2:40, but it didn't sound very realistic moving from note-to-note and was a bit too subtle.

I liked what was there so far, but it needs some more interpretive and unique ideas vis-a-vis the source material to pass. If you wanna keep the melody intact, expand and change the supporting instrumentation more substantially and make things sound more unique that way. I listen to original stuff of yours like "Free as the Wind" (thanks for sending it my way, BTW) and know that creative, original composition isn't an issue for you. Knowing you don't like the system, Tim, I'm not necessarily expecting a resubmission, but frankly I'd like to see one, because I think this has the potential to interpret the source material more substantially.

NO (rework/resubmit)

hey, it's shii's song :)

right off the bat we've got some strings with inappropriate attacks.

but i really like that there's some woodwind action here,

rather than the wall-of-strings orchestral arrangements we get.

it's kinda fun, but follows the structure of the original identically after the "is this good enough?" intro.

the surprise! ending does not feel apt at all, sorry.

i think this arrangement could have more depth, right now it provides little interest over the original...

no