Pokemon Blue - Lavender Town

Source:

Pokemon Blue - Ghost Town

Remix Version 4: http://electricconcerto.com/music/lavendertown4.mp3

So I'm doing some experimenting with this sound. I don't even know what genre of music to put it in! O_o

So I was looking up on an urban legend about the theme to Lavender Town and felt compelled to make a ReMix of it. I haven't really been in the remixing scene lately (working on an album of original music), but I felt so compelled to to this remix, it was compelling. Know what I mean?

So anyway, here is the final draft of the remix. I'm still new to this type of music, so any and all feedback would be SO helpful! Thank you for your time, and enjoy!

UPDATE: Because of a derp moment, I forgot to switch this back to "Finished" when I meant it to be as such. That's why it's going from "Work in Progress" to "Mod Review". Sorry about the confusion.

Edited by electric concerto

UPDATE:

http://www.electricconcerto.com/music/wip/videogame/lavendertown2.mp3

So I decided to redo the whole things. I made several changed and after several hours of hard work, I believe the remix is done. So any tweeking you think I need to do, let me know. Thanks.

PS In the original post, I kept the first version of the remix so you can compare the two, but the second version is the final one that I plan on going with.

Hey there, thought I'd give this a listen as I always enjoy hearing Pokémon remixes!

This gets off to a nice moody start, but then the guitar comes in, and that tone is not working at all for me. Sounds like you're playing it in live, which is cool, but you need a bit of a warmer sound to it I think. I know that Lavender Town is depressing, but this isn't sad, it's just a harsh sound. It also sounds pretty out of tune - definitely tune up and do it again. Nice unexpected transition in the middle, however that guitar comes back and has the same problems! The beat works as it is, although there's no harm in adding some more fills and snare builds, and there are some nice synth touches, but I can't get past that guitar. Try adding some countermelodies or some more original melody work, and I wouldn't rule out swapping the guitar for a synth if you still can't get it to sound right.

There's a decent track in here somewhere, just fix that guitar and see what it sounds like after that!

Awesome advice! I got some new strings for the acoustic guitar and a new mic, so hopefully I can dish out a better tone. The old strings were about 20 yes old! Also, I'll put in some more practice for the electric guitar bits and get a more solid play in. And now that I think about it, I agree with the drum fill idea. I'll have a new version out soon!

Yo econcerto. :D

It's sad, but it is also harsh. The bass and the bass drum are both too heavy, and there's some tuning issues in the non-electronic portion of the track. Guitar sound needs some work to fit into the electronic bits, it sounds to muffled to fit the synth sounds.

Guitar lead in an electronic track? Cool idea, cool track overall, but you need to work on the sound design some more.

Wow, what a difference! You're right - this is close! The only issue I have now is with the trancey second half - the snare and synth seem a little far back in the mix. The guitar's nice and prominent, but it feels like there's too much space between all the parts. This is especially prevalent when the original melody returns. For me, that guitar's too exposed and needs to sit better.

I do like the transition, but feel the rhythm guitar and synth could again be more prominent/louder.

So really, it's just a few tweaks to the balance that need to be made. Really enjoying this mix, nice work!

• 4 months later...
This is actually really good! On the first full listen, my only problem is the kick. It comes in too soon, and ruins the atmoshpere, plus it's the exact same kick for all the time that I heard it. Try to vary it a bit. Otherwise, this is awesome.

That's the problem with trance kicks... They sound the same...

I've been doing some experimenting with an even newer sound. So I might incorporate that in. It's...... different.

What do you mean? Like, what kind of filter?

Any kind. Band pass that has a relatively low cutoff, or simply a low pass filter with a 80% cutoff level.

You could even use an EQ with reduced levels of the upper frequencies.

Band reject could even work too.

• 5 months later...

Sounding really good so far! I very much enjoy that guitar. I like the build-up into the electric guitar; very nice transition. I do think that solo can be brought up a little more. Probably with a little more EQ you could widen out that sound.

Otherwise, I love it! Can't wait to hear more!

My, DAT ROCK GUITAR. Really diggin this mix. I only feel like you have a few things to work on, one of those being the drums, because when those hard core guitars came in, the only thing I felt like I was missing was bigger, bolder drums. Though I do see what you're going for with those drums now (from the way I hear, just trying to keep an underlying, fast paced ambience) I think it would be cool to hear some bolder sounds pop out from the drums. Also, near the end when you bring back the acoustic sounds, you might want to EQ those a bit because they seem to not match the more hardcore sounds you have going on there. Other than that, sounds like an awesome mix!

My, DAT ROCK GUITAR. Really diggin this mix. I only feel like you have a few things to work on, one of those being the drums, because when those hard core guitars came in, the only thing I felt like I was missing was bigger, bolder drums. Though I do see what you're going for with those drums now (from the way I hear, just trying to keep an underlying, fast paced ambience) I think it would be cool to hear some bolder sounds pop out from the drums.

I'm interested in hearing any suggestions you might have. I think I understand what you mean, though.

Also, near the end when you bring back the acoustic sounds, you might want to EQ those a bit because they seem to not match the more hardcore sounds you have going on there. Other than that, sounds like an awesome mix!

Lol, only because I can't find a pre-amp that doesn't make those leads sound like garbage. Do you know of any VSTs I might be able to look into?

Wait whut? Is this becoming unts unts?

The acoustic guitar is way too loud compared to the unts unts. It might work as an intro, but it's now there for about half the track. The bass drum is a little weak, you could side-chain it to some of the other instruments for a little more oomph and headroom at the same time.

Most instances of the melody is verbatim, which for a short source like this ends up sounding repetitive. Naturally, using the melody verbatim isn't wrong, nor is repeating an element, but if you could find ways of subtly changing it (eg changing how the first part of the melody moves into the second, they both start the same so there's some room to change things up without really losing anything).

So no, this isn't ocr material at this point. You've got some nice guitar stuff in here, and the unts unts is cool as well, you just gotta find the right places for them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bass is a bit too loud in the intro. The acoustic guitar is still pretty loud, and really clean and upfront compared to the instrumentation of the unts part. You might wanna automate a push further back or something. It doesn't have to be that loud if it's just an intro thing anyway. How about some delay on it?

Leads are pretty loud compared to drums, you might wanna adjust that. Ending is a bit too abrupt and the track feels like it ends too soon. perhaps a different take on the source could be worked in as a kind of verse, or a breakdown-buildup thing based on the unts version? Just suggesting, not sure it'd work as it's a pretty short source and a pretty repetitive mix as-is, tho not horribly so, imo. if you can come up with a different take on the source - new chords, new feel, new mode, something - you'll have a much easier time working with it.

PRODUCTION

~ Drums have no energy - not bad, but they need more compared to the leads

~ Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range) - you could clean it up a bit

STRUCTURE

- Too repetitive

- Too short - the unts part could be longer and end feeling more complete

- Abrupt ending - more like ends too soon

Getting there...

• 7 months later...

I didn't mind the snare so much till about 1:22. I don't think is gels well with the rest of the drums, or especially when you get to the more dancey portion of the song.

There's also silence for 12 or so seconds at the end. Could trim that a little bit.

That's... about all the criticism I have for this. It's a pretty solid mix. Develops nicely, mixed rather well (maybe turn down the acoustics a tad), but over all a good effort.

*thumbs up*